Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

03 Seadoo GTX S/C Issues

Hello folks.....
    Looking for some help with my ski. Has 75.3 hours on it, always maintained, oil change every season, etc. Moved from sea level last year to northern new mexico. Put the ski out on the water, wouldn't get up to full rpm. Max has been 5500. Max speed is 38mph. Took to the local dealer and they gave it a tune up....now we have full rpm...7800, but never more than 42mph. Dealer said my prop was incorrect for altitude, so I swapped stock prop with a solas 17/23. Also replaced stock wear ring with stainless steel ring while apart. Got a deal on a Work Racing Maxiloader grate, so that was installed also.

First test on the lake was day before yesterday. Max speed is back to 38mph, and max rpm is 5700. Dealer here offers no help or solutions, so I turn to you guys. Our mechanic at the shop swears it is the s/c, but I'm unsure....truck mechanic not a ski mechanic. Any info or direction will help. Thanks folks

+1
    Your problem is you have WAAAAYYYYYY TOO much impeller for that ski, 17/23 is not even close to being the correct pitch.

You should be using a Solas SR-CD-12/20. Go to www.solas.com and see for your self.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=278

Take the air intake off of the SC, reach in and try to turn the SC wheel, it should not turn, if it does turn the SC is trashed and will require a complete engine tear down.

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Your problem is you have WAAAAYYYYYY TOO much impeller for that ski, 17/23 is not even close to being the correct pitch.

You should be using a Solas SR-CD-12/20. Go to www.solas.com and see for your self.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=278

Take the air intake off of the SC, reach in and try to turn the SC wheel, it should not turn, if it does turn the SC is trashed and will require a complete engine tear down.
    What is the stock impeller pitch?

Took intake apart ....S/C is tight. doesn't turn by hand at all. Found intake tubes to be full of oil when I pulled everything apart.
    Will pull the new impeller off and verify pitch and let you know.

Solas Impeller that was installed is a 13/21. Tht is the pitch that was recommended by the local dealer...but that doesn't mean much.

+1
    stock was 11/18, 12/20 is good for a stock ski with minor mods. 13/21 is still too much for a stock ski and if high altitude still too much pitch.

Oil in the SC to IC tubes means the SC seal is leaking and needs to be replaced with a Viton seal.

What elevation are you riding at?

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    stock was 11/18, 12/20 is good for a stock ski with minor mods. 13/21 is still too much for a stock ski and if high altitude still too much pitch.

Oil in the SC to IC tubes means the SC seal is leaking and needs to be replaced with a Viton seal.

What elevation are you riding at?
    Navajo Lake in northern new mexico and southern Colorado is at 6100 ft in elevation.

As far as oil in intake and prop size....would this cause my issue with the motor not reaching peak rpm?
    Im learning so I am asking to educate myself.

+1
    Thats up pretty high! Your going to need around 11/17 or less to reduce the load. It will never perform like a ski at lower altitudes.

Yes that oil gums up the works big time..your throttle body and intake manifold is gummed up with it……not a real good air fuel mixture for sure.

The current impeller is way too much pitch for the high density altitude conditions and will not let the engine make full rpm.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 2.54.24 PM.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	332449

According to BRP you may need to go as far as 11/16 for your altitude!

I did some looking around online real quick....
    Any feedback on an 11/18? or still too much?
    Decided we are going to rebuild the head...found some metal shavings when we pulled the valve cover. When we pull it all apart going to shave the head a few thousandths, install a few other performance parts.
    Any suggestions or feedback?

+1
    Metal shavings…….sounds like you need to pull the engine and tear it completely apart…….is it worth the time, effort and money?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information