Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Warning all tx pwc owners

Was just told tx dps is now taking trailers and what's on them if you have trailer registered as homemade and its a manufactured trailer. Just happened to friend of mine. I know we have done it for years but I am guessing law has changed. I have mine that way not sure how to fix it any ideas

+1
    okay my question is why would they care? as long as registration is current what does it matter if its listed as manufactured or homemade? as far as i know one is not cheaper than the other when it comes to that.

i hit up google and found nothing about that... maybe someone else will have better luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmartin681 View Post
    Was just told tx dps is now taking trailers and what's on them if you have trailer registered as homemade and its a manufactured trailer. Just happened to friend of mine. I know we have done it for years but I am guessing law has changed. I have mine that way not sure how to fix it any ideas
    I am at a total loss, as to what this post is supposed to mean.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmartin681 View Post
    I am at a total loss, as to what this post is supposed to mean.
    what i gathered...

friend got stopped by DPS
    DPS didnt like something with the trailer registration
    DPS took said trailer and all items on it.

my spidey sense is telling me we aint getting the full story...

5. +1 by:

Don't know guys just passing it on. Had road master trailer registered as homemade. Dips took skis and trailer saying it was not homemade. I agree. They got money for tags don't see why it would matter. I guess there has been lot of trailers getting stolen or something. Mine is the same way so I don't know

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    not sure i buy this,pretty sure you could sue them for taking your property,and if you went to register an out of state trailer without tags how are you going to put it down on the registration?gal beind the counter says oh well just put it down as homemade.then sue her as well.this law is suppose to keep guys from putting homemade trailer tags on 3 axle enclosed trailers and such.

Yea not sure. I think the same thing. I know dealer sell used trailers and say do it as homemade. I would think could sue them too. Did find it says if it's less then 4000 lbs you have to have bill if sale and restoration receipt is all I found. Could be more to it as someone said but I was not giving the story if so. Double trailer nothing out of the norm but know the took it and reason he was giving is it is not a homemade trailer we are taking it and the skis

+1
    Interesting topic...

Homemade Trailers

Any trailer built by its owner is a homemade trailer. If the trailer exceeds 4,000 lbs. (gross weight), it must be titled, registered, and given a vehicle identification number (VIN).
    Trailers over 4,000 lbs.
    If your trailer requires registration, visit your local county tax office with:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    we've seen changes in how "home-made trailers" are dealt with here in new mexico in the last year. Now you have to supply receipts for the vital components and if the tailer has ANY machine formed bends ( ala shorelandr) it ain't homemade.

too many trailers changing hands without titles, but once tagged the onus is off of you in my opinion as the DMV here inspects hin AND engine number on any out of state vehicle. It's the responsibility of the dmv to confirm what you got before they issue paper.

it's all attitude. I get a whole lot of folks who believe their trailers are exempt from any regulation at all.

Since I'm NOT in the trailer biz, I stopped mentioning to people that they really need to have fenders or mudflaps on their rigs, but broken windshields are a way of life around here.

Having your rig confiscated because it's not "right" means a court date and Ia'd be playing the "tags match the trailer vin and registration as issued by the state, so I believe my rights have been violated"

Tx does not require small trailers to be titled. I think they should either just make them all a certain size be titled or not. I mean if you pay for it to be registered and on the road I sure don't think they should be able to take it just because maybe the dps officer is having a bad day. I mean I know of lot of home shops that have benders and everything needed to build exactly like a factory so I honestly don't see how they can prove one way or another. Either title or don't but make it the same. I agree maybe they should have to inspect all of them at no cost to owner to make sure it's tagged correctly. There is no cost difference cause price goes by weight

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information