Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Warning to all tx pwc owners

Was just told tx dps is taking trailer and what's on it if its registered as homemade and it's not. Just happened to a friend. If its manufactured and you registered as homemade they are taking it now. Mine is that way any ideas? In tx people have done this for years with no problems

+1
    Taking them? They cant take your property. They might could take your tag back but not your actually property.

Why would someone register a factory made trailer as homemade?

Is is it to avoid paying sales taxes or get a cheaper registration?

If so, that may be why Texas is trying to confiscate the incorrectly registered trailer as they may consider it fraud.....

If this is the case, the fact people "have been doing it for years" doesn't make it legal.....

+1
    A lot of times people lose titles and so on, so its just as easy to register as homade.

Here in Ohio, if you lose the title, the DMV prints out a duplicate for $6. I had to get one when I couldn't find the title for my boat trailer.

I'm not trying to be righteous. It's just that if we break the law or try to get one over on the government, we need to be prepared to deal with the consequences if they found out or decide to enforce the law.

It's unfortunate Texas boat owners were lulled into a false sense of security that the laws requiring folks to be truthful when they register their trailer would never be enforced and it seems, now they are ...

i would hope Texas would allow someone who's registered their factory built trailer as homemade to correct their "mistake" by reregistering it without any penalty..
    Last edited by jetboater; 06-13-2014 at 09:30 PM.

It does not cost any less to register it that way cost the same. Texas does not require titles on small trailers so if person loses title before you it just easier not trying to get over on the government. I have even had employers at tax office say just do it as homemade. They get same money as long as it is registered and been no problems for many years. Just not sure what is different now. As far as trying to get over on law enforcement or government the problem is you can't tell the difference a lot of times. I have seen many homemade trailers look just like factory

I bought mine at local dealer used and was told to register as homemade and have also been told by employee at tax office just do it that way so what do you do other then just pay crazy prices for new trailer

Wow-- it seems you Texas folks are getting seriously conflicting messages! I hope it gets straightened out quickly so folks aren't threatened with having your trailers taken!

here in Ohio, the DMV routinely sends letters to sellers asking them to verify the price they sold their car, boat, or trailer for so they can verify that the buyer paid the right amount of taxes on it when it was registered by the buyer.

It happened to me when I bought a wrecked car to fix up from a friend for $300. He got a letter a few weeks later asking him to verify he actually sold it to me for $300. I only knew about it because I knew him and he told me he got the letter. If I had tried to say I had paid less than I actually did when I titled it, I would have faced charges...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmartin681 View Post
    I bought mine at local dealer used and was told to register as homemade and have also been told by employee at tax office just do it that way so what do you do other then just pay crazy prices for new trailer
    How much are the taxes- The taxes on my Icatch trailer was $24 when it was brand new

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information