Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Alignment tool rental/borrow Toronto / GTA ?

Hopefully someone close by might have one.

I know i could rent from John Z, but cross-border shipping would be crazy.
    Also considering having one made for me depending on cost.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Maybe you will end up driving to my house after all

+1
    Ha! I was just about to send you a PM or text message about your piston wrist pin tool. I couldn't I kept snapping the threaded rod I was using, so I resigned myself to the fact that I should make the drive. Now that I find out you have the alignment tool, I guess it's a no brainer!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBee63 View Post
    ... I kept snapping the threaded rod I was using, so I resigned myself to the fact that I should make the drive. Now that I find out you have the alignment tool, I guess it's a no brainer!
    Tools have been picked up!

If the old piston pins are really tight you may need to heat up the piston with a torch. Just enough heat that the aluminum piston expands faster than the steel wrist pin. Wear heavy gloves.

Alignment tool tip: Always keep the inside of the stator bearings and the alignment tool well oiled. If the tool binds inside the stator bearings you will have a hard time getting it out! Also keep the steel tool out of the sun so it doesn't expand with heat and then bind in the bearings when you slide it in.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... I kept snapping the threaded rod I was using, so I resigned myself to the fact that I should make the drive. Now that I find out you have the alignment tool, I guess it's a no brainer!
    Tools have been picked up!

If the old piston pins are really tight you may need to heat up the piston with a torch. Just enough heat that the aluminum piston expands faster than the steel wrist pin. Wear heavy gloves.

Alignment tool tip: Always keep the inside of the stator bearings and the alignment tool well oiled. If the tool binds inside the stator bearings you will have a hard time getting it out! Also keep the steel tool out of the sun so it doesn't expand with heat and then bind in the bearings when you slide it in.
    I have never had an issue like that with the alignment tool. I have a junk stator that I use just for alignments.

+1
    All good tips! Thanks K447!

+1
    I guess I should have borrowed your impeller tool as well. I got to the cottage last night and mine is no where to be found... grrrrrrrr!

Maybe the local boat shop has one I can borrow (they're Yamaha though) or my old Polaris dealer about 45 minutes away has one.

+1
    I guess I should have borrowed your impeller tool as well. I got to the cottage last night and mine is no where to be found... grrrrrrrr!

Maybe the local boat shop has one I can borrow (they're Yamaha though) or my old Polaris dealer about 45 minutes away has one.
    Take the impeller with you.

The same impeller tool fits several other watercraft brands. I forget which ones, but it was posted somewhere around here years ago.

Update: Tigershark uses the same impeller splines and the same removal tool.

Possible alternate method, which I have never done.

Install the jet pump body back onto the hull without any of the rear nozzles. You may need to use washer stacks or some other spacers under the bolt heads to prevent the bolts from bottoming out in the jet pump base. Do not break those long bolts!

First clean the bolt hole threads with a tap if they are clogged with corrosion.

Use the 'rope trick' to prevent the engine from turning. Rope goes into the PTO cylinder after ensuring the cylinder ports are covered by the piston. So now the engine is holding the drive shaft coupler from turning anti-clockwise.

Find a pair of large wrenches. One for the engine drive shaft coupler. And one for the flats on the rear end of the stator stub shaft, exposed at the rear of the jet pump.

Find someone dumb enough to help you.

Have one wrench on the driveshaft coupler, so the coupler cannot unscrew from the engine. Apply the other wrench to the flats on the stub shaft rear.

Note that the torque required to get the impeller loose is quite large. Spec when installing is 100 ft-lbs, so it may take even more than that to break it free.

Significant potential for tool damage, tool slippage, or personal injury.

I prefer to use the proper impeller removal tool
    Last edited by K447; 06-21-2014 at 09:22 AM.

+1
    Personal injury?! Ack! No, I'm going to find the tool!

No one locally has one. I called my old Polaris dealer with no luck, and the Tigershark dealer was closed by the time I realized they had the same splines. It may be next weekend before I can align the engine, assuming I can find one this week.

The good news is I was able to get that pesky piston pin out, but it took a fair bit of heat and leverage to do it. Thankfully the rod was fine as it was the melted piston bits that fused to the side pin hole opening that made it such a bugger! The new PTO top-end went in without issue and my leak down test at 12 psi only dropped about 1 psi over 10 minutes.

+1
    ... the Tigershark dealer was closed by the time I realized they had the same splines...
    Wow, I thought Tigershark dealers were more rare than Polaris dealers.

I have the impeller removal tool here, if need be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information