Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Wear ring cold soak trick question.

Seen a bunch or posts, videos and so on about tossing the wear ring in the freezer then remove it and the ring should slide right out. Well tryed a few times and no movement. My question is why is the cold supposed to help when its shrinking the pump ....shouldnt you apply heat to relax it? Just curious to why.

+1
    beacause the ring will shink more then the housing will, look for a few hidden screws that may hold that ring in place, they could be anywhere so look it over, freezer always worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ApriliaRyan View Post
    Seen a bunch or posts, videos and so on about tossing the wear ring in the freezer then remove it and the ring should slide right out. Well tryed a few times and no movement. My question is why is the cold supposed to help when its shrinking the pump ....shouldnt you apply heat to relax it? Just curious to why.
    The plastic wear ring will contract more than the pump will. I use a set of vise grips to grab on to the edge of the wear ring that sticks out of the pump housing. Grab one spot and give it a tug, then grab the opposite edge of the wear ring and give it a tug. Then continue this back and forth until it begins to move. It may feel like its not moving at all but it should eventually start to slide out. It is worth noting that it is only worth using this technique if you are not removing the impeller. If you pull the prop it is much easier to cut the wear ring out.

+1
    always worked for me. just takes a few tugs with vice grips to break it free. sometimes the moister between the ring and pump make it stick pretty good.

Banned User
    +1
    Did you remove the impeller first?

It doesn't always work. The wear rings up to 2007 usually contracted more than the replacements starting in 2007. Many of the late rings are so tight you need to press them in with a press, and remove them by cutting.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Ah ok , understand now.

Also no the prop is in, wanted to try this way first since I didn't have the tool.

I've always had success with the freezing method. Leave overnight in freezer for best result. Agree, early pumps, the ring just falls out. Later ones still an easy out. I did my 2012 twice in the space of a week ( don't ask!), it was tighter than older pumps, but just got hold of edge of WR with grips and worked it free. After first half inch it just gave up the fight!

I have successfully done it with the prop in place many times, depends on how good the prop edges are ( but if they're so bad you'll be swapping that out anyway).

When replacing, if you have left the prop on, smear some grease or spray some lube ob the INSIDE of the WR to help it past the prop. Don't get any of it on the outside of the ring or inside of the pump.

If you go stainless steel (which I have after many years of plastic) remember there's a right and wrong way round to fit it (see arrow printed on ring).

good luck

+1
    Thanks. I'll try again just for a hoot. Just ordered a prop tool, the place is just in Ft Collins so it gets here pretty dang quick. My prop won't need changing it still looks brand new.

+1
    Sorry should had stated all the props where removed when doing this, I sudjust removing the prop, you dont need the tool per say, removed many with the drive shaft and a pipe wrench, just be sure you grip the pipe wrench in an area that is open and not sealed by the drive seals and such,, then dremel down any spurs, when the impeller is removed, the freezer trick will pop off the weare ring with some help.with a vise grip and flat head screwdriver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information