Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some more help...

Ok guys, you have all been really helpful in the building of my 2006 GPR. I have installed the PPK, 1200 grate, Riva Sponsons, DF 14/20, 87mm nozzle, d plate and sensor, jetworks, etc... my next step is the plate that I spoke to Jim about. BUT, I with all these bolt ons and changes, where can I go to learn about theory, I want to know what all of the great tuners on this forum know, like why good reeds add 100rpms, and how to boost hp, and how to get my ski to break the 80mph mark reliably, and so many more questions about how these beastly 2 strokes tick and what makes then better or worse... Basically is there a place to go that explains the theories behind all of the upgrades, as well as, the basics???

As Always, Thanks for your help.

dogger

+1
    Your already there.

+1
    DO what many of us have done...... Stay up until 3 in the morning using the search menu on the forum! there are great threads about the VF3 reed, ride plate angle theroy and setup, truing hull, ect ect! you will learn a lot!

+1
    "how to get my ski to break the 80mph mark reliably"

get your check book out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Your already there.

ditto

DO what many of us have done...... Stay up until 3 in the morning using the search menu on the forum! there are great threads about the VF3 reed, ride plate angle theroy and setup, truing hull, ect ect! you will learn a lot!
    ditto

+1
    Dogger, Have you had your ski out yet this year since you've done your mods? Im curious where your ski stands now as far as gps and rpm's. I should be back out on the water this week.

We should meet up one day at your load in ramp.Head up the Schuylkill river.I want to see how many rpm's your ski is running and what your gps #'s are on that dynafly with a stock engine. I also want to see how bad you holeshot me with the jetworks.

Right now, i just have the ppk,1200 grate,stock stepped sponsons,stock tabs shimmed and jim's original j-plate. You'll love his plate. I'm going to send mine down for his newest mod. It's alittle looser in turns than stock, but stays perfectly planted in straight line WOT runs.

I have the efi controller,vf3's,race filter,heads and the dynafly. but, im undeceided to put them on. 93 octane gas is hard to come by on the river.

+1
    dogger, make sure you reinforce the pump tunnel too admidst of all your mods

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    Dogger, Have you had your ski out yet this year since you've done your mods? Im curious where your ski stands now as far as gps and rpm's. I should be back out on the water this week.

We should meet up one day at your load in ramp.Head up the Schuylkill river.I want to see how many rpm's your ski is running and what your gps #'s are on that dynafly with a stock engine. I also want to see how bad you holeshot me with the jetworks.

Right now, i just have the ppk,1200 grate,stock stepped sponsons,stock tabs shimmed and jim's original j-plate. You'll love his plate. I'm going to send mine down for his newest mod. It's alittle looser in turns than stock, but stays perfectly planted in straight line WOT runs.

I have the efi controller,vf3's,race filter,heads and the dynafly. but, im undeceided to put them on. 93 octane gas is hard to come by on the river.
    Where are you from? I am literally 5 inutes from the West Deptford ramp, across from the Philly shipyard. I was supposed to go out again tomorrow, but alot of the riders backed out and Im not big into riding alone in these chilly waters. I will prolly be out in the water monday afternoon, supposed to be 70+ that day. Tomorrow everyone is riding north of trenton, we were supposed to ride Corson's inlet.

RX951 - I have read several ways of reinforcing the pump tunnel, I think that I will do that mod using R&Ds kit, and I will be doing it pretty soon.

Thanks guys for your input, I am just doing my best to run with the big dogs. Its taking time for me to do each mod because I dont want to just bolt on parts, I want to know why each part that I put on is better and more effective than what I took off. Jim was a big help in the plate department, as well as the tip to get the 87mm red. nozzle to bring my r's back up since my motor is stock and the DF (balanced, trued, and race finished by IR) drops the r's to teh 68-6900 range. I read somewhere on here that if you wanna go fast, you gotta add go fast parts, well, I have been researching everything so I can weed out the go average parts from the go fast parts, we'll see how successful I am soon enough.
    Last edited by dogger; 03-30-2007 at 11:00 PM.

+1
    I keep my skis in bucks county. Sometimes i load in at neshaminy state marina up near burlington.Sometimes at linden ave,closer to tacony bridge. I usually burn about a 1/4 tank getting to shipyard.Usually i dont sweat the gas getting low, but this time of year theres no gas stations open out there. So when i get to below 1/4,its time to roll.

It is truely amazing what the people on this forum and the old riva forum have done with these skis. I was one of those suckered into riva's stage 2 kit on my 03 for $1600 to go 70 mph. Now with the 06. to go from 65.9-66.3 stock to 69.7-70.2 with jims plate is incredible, and he has the new mod which is another 1-2 mph. I would have loved to try jims plate w/o the 1200 grate to see what the true gain was, but i hit my hat-trick of getting thrown off. So they say its .5-1 mph loss for the 1200 grate. Same for the stepped sponsons.

I had the r&d full flat tabs on,the bunny hop i was getting at 30 mph cruise was annoying me,So i went with the fender washers under the stock tabs. My kidneys appreciated it.It felt like i was on that kiddie mechanical horse ride outside wal-mart.

I read a post back in the summer. Someone on here had thier stock 06gpr doing 74 mph w/o even lifting the seat off. So i imagine an 80+ unported ski is highly possible if you can dig up enough info thats floating out there and even some thats not.

Imagine the speed of a project gpr that was put together by the top 5 tuners on this forum in one month.With all sharing and using thier ideas and secret techniques. We need a GPR Monster garage episode.

Your off to a good start. Like was said earlier, you need to be up till the wee hours of the morning using the search engine to gather all the info you can. It takes time, but it saves alot of time and money in the long run. You can see by looking at some of my post the hours I keep.

Also, you will get more detailed info about why something works by breaking it down one at a time and ask direct questions. Most guys wont try and tackle explaining everything about every part, but if you ask about one specific part every day then you will get answers. Its just not as overwhelming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information