Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CMD help, please.....

I have read through the CMD sticky 100x and now know what I want to do, but need lots of help and sound advice please.

After getting info from lots of you guys (thanks) I agree pressure based tuning is the way to go. I plan to use Autotune eventually to get me very close then fine tweak at the end.

I need someone to agree with my logic, then I can start.

My thought is to just make a run logging as much data as possible without any changes to fuelling or autotune input, so everything will start with zero's in the tables.

Then after riding I should see my min & max boost pressures / rpm's, which will allow me to make the axis of the target AFR table, making sure I have a little extra buffer each end of the pressure range.

Then I can start to use the AFR target "shape" that I have seen on a few target tables, to populate a first draft. I will put this up before I use it to get your thoughts / tips / expert opinions.

So firstly, does this logic figure?

Second, do I need to configure the LCD200 with anything special for it to read and collect the correct pressure data from the MAP sensor? (I know I need to assign channels onto the display).

I plan on using relative pressure, so expect to see both pressure and vacuum, is this the best way? (As opposed to absolute pressure)?

Really need sound advice now before I make any school boy errors.

Thanks.

+1
    shut off the auto tune in the 2000 and under rpm range
    just leave those blocks empty
    set max tune to like 20 or less
    yes programing the lcd take a wile to figure out
    you will also need to turn off the alarms
    and set up all the gages

+1
    Have you looked at dynojets youtube channel ? It makes the setup of the LCD200 easier to understand . Helps you understand the cmd system as well . Good luck ..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-m31164 View Post
    Have you looked at dynojets youtube channel ? It makes the setup of the LCD200 easier to understand . Helps you understand the cmd system as well . Good luck ..
    Yes. They are good videos but only tell you how to set-up n configure, not how to decide the AFR's to populate the target data tables with. Contacted Dynojet who have been very good, but for legal liabillity reasons cannot give target AFR data. That's where I'm struggling. Many people give me an idle, cruise n WOT guide, but how the hell do you phase that from start up rpm to WOT, from negative to positive manifold pressures.

It's like explaining all the functions of a car and a giving a destination to drive to, but no map or GPS just "it's some distance in that direction"!!

+1
    PM Andy about a base map . That will help you

+1
    there is no afr rules that fit every motor
    fuel type, max boost and timing all make big differences
    the afr that you would use with a race motor with a specific fuel would not be close
    to a rec ski running any old pump fuel
    what cmd is saying is, you need to set the safety level your comfortable with

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    there is no afr rules that fit every motor
    fuel type, max boost and timing all make big differences
    the afr that you would use with a race motor with a specific fuel would not be close
    to a rec ski running any old pump fuel
    what cmd is saying is, you need to set the safety level your comfortable with
    Agree, agree and agree. But, it still doesn't help.

Think of it this way, I play drums. So you who doesn't play drums have to change a drum head.(the bit you hit). So you manage to get the old one off, get the old one on, but how tight should you screw down the tension bolts. You ask the forum of pro drummers who say;

"depends on what you want from it" "well marching bands have a much higher tension than most" "it's personal choice, there is no one answer" "different heads can take different pressures" "tighten some lightly, some tighter and some super tight" "every one is different" "using animal skin changes with temperature and humidity" "drums are not pitch tuned"

All these statements are correct but don't help you.

Get where I'm going now?!

So what I need to someone to clearly put up a "basic one size fits all table" to start with. Bang, bang, bang. Then to say, you must never let the afr's in this area go above X or below Y. But near X will give you more zzzz and less vvvvv. So that you can decide for yourself and you use, what you want. Ie, top speed, punch, safe engine, economy, etc etc.

But for someone new looking at a spreadsheet 30 columns wide by 20 rows deep with the instruction, there's no one answer. Doesn't help.

Just really frustrating.

I just posted a CMD Zero map at www.ncs-stl.com/CMD

Keep in mind that it is MAP based tuning with MAP in units of KPA

If you are near sea level with the motor dead, the Pressure reported from the Power Commander display needs to read real close to 100. With the motor idling in water, the pressure needs to read about 55.

Regarding the drum example.

Engine tuning is really similar. Picture drum tension for the correct sound is dependent on humidity, temperature, But you are going to be in a 3 hour parade. You need to tune for ever changing weather. Just as the parade starts so does the rain, then it dries out and the sun comes out, then you go back in the shade and the weather changes once again. All you can do is tune for the average. It has everything to do with being close most of the time.

Now with a CMD you have autotune that can attempt to help bring things back into close assuming you are not too far off.

This have everything to do with statistics. Close to perfect no matter what weather gets thrown at you.

Hope this helps

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    I just posted a CMD Zero map at www.ncs-stl.com/CMD

Keep in mind that it is MAP based tuning with MAP in units of KPA

If you are near sea level with the motor dead, the Pressure reported from the Power Commander display needs to read real close to 100. With the motor idling in water, the pressure needs to read about 55.

Regarding the drum example.

Engine tuning is really similar. Picture drum tension for the correct sound is dependent on humidity, temperature, But you are going to be in a 3 hour parade. You need to tune for ever changing weather. Just as the parade starts so does the rain, then it dries out and the sun comes out, then you go back in the shade and the weather changes once again. All you can do is tune for the average. It has everything to do with being close most of the time.

Now with a CMD you have autotune that can attempt to help bring things back into close assuming you are not too far off.

This have everything to do with statistics. Close to perfect no matter what weather gets thrown at you.

Hope this helps

Andy

Exactly what I need - a thousand thanks.

So now, do I configure my MAP sensor in CMD to 0.40 volts = 20 and 4.65 volts = 250 ? (Should also say I'm running Bosch ECU, fly-by-wire, does this matter?)

Then I'm good to go?

What max boost should I expect from a 260HO with stock SC?
    Last edited by tornado34; 06-15-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Those numbers sound about correct. I did not verify.....

The stock X supercharger will make about 180 KPA at 8300 RPM assuming your ecu is hacked to allow the added RPM.

The stock ECU allows 8150 max RPM as you accelerate and tapers off to 8050 RPM as you top out at about 160 or so KPA.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information