+1

2008 RXP-X RPM's move around when idling and starts mean when hot

2008 with 91 hours on it (stock). The starting issue started late last summer.. would come in from a ride - shut it off - go get truck. Go to start it back up and it turns over fine but I would have to crack throttle maybe 1/3 to get it to fire up. When its cold it would start up fine.

This year changed plugs, oil etc. Same thing - starts good cold but hot it will not start with out cracking throttle. Even on trailer to flush it - have to open throttle 1/3ish way open. Last week went out for a ride and stopped at an island to have lunch.. had a heck of a time getting it started - been sitting for an hour.

Also noticed while on flush kit idling on trailer - rpm hunt around but engine seems to stay idling smooth. rpm will go from 1620-1760 even to 1820 sometimes (and all numbers in between). Like I said - listening to engine - does not seem to be actually doing that. Not sure if it has always done this or if all 4tecs do it? Never noticed it before.

Tried a new battery and did not make any difference. No codes on gages (codes will show on gage?). It runs good otherwise - good power etc.

I am thinking maybe dirty injectors or cam sensor?

Any help would be great.. thanks

Banned User
    +1
    Check the MAP sensor, make sure that there is nothing in it (like oil residue)....and check the Idle Valve on the throttle body, it may be sticking...

+1
    Ok cool - will do. If there is oil on MAP - just clean with brake clean? Can you clean IAC if needed? I remember reading IAC is a delicate stepper motor?

Thank you

+1
    Map looks to be spotless inside. Pulled IAC.. not sure how to test that? Was clean inside.. looked fully extended. I saw some pics on here where they stick in the retracted position.

Thread Information