+1

Impeller bearings shot-upgrade?

Took the Virage i for a ride this morning on the intercoastal waterway. Awesome ride, but started hearing/feeling a noise while riding. Luckily I made it back to the ramp 20 miles away. lol

I pulled the nozzle off and pump out. When I popped the cone off water went everywhere. No telling when the water intrusion took place. I haven't had the cone off since I picked up the ski around 1 yr ago.

I guess I need to source the impeller tool and figure out what parts need replacing. Bearings and seals at least.
    The stator is the aluminum 5 vane. My Genesis has the 6 vane SS stator. Could/should I upgrade to the 6 vane SS?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    It is not unusual for water to accumulate in the segregated sections around the perimeter of the stator tail cone. This trapped water is not a problem as long as it does not also get into the inner zone.

That is why it is useful to point the tail cone at the ground before removing it, so water from the outer area does not splash into the inner bearing area, and you can tell if it was dry in there before you took it apart.

Of course if the actual bearings are noisy and failing then it does to matter whether there was water in there before, still needs to be rebuilt.

The stainless steel six vane stator is a nicer part than the aluminum five vane. Slightly better thrust, more corrosion resistant, tougher overall.

+1
    The water in there was nasty. Grease, water, and metal shaving slush. The bearings or at least one is completely trashed.

So I can swap a 6 vane SS onto the ski? I'll start looking for one. Do I need one from a specific model or are they interchangeable? Then I will need to come up with the removal tool.

Banned User
    +1
    All the 6 vane stators are compatible. I source bearings and seals from a local bearing supply house. A set of bearings and seals runs me about 35 bucks, and thats for top quality bearings.

+1
    I looked at the prices for bearings on partspitstop. Little pricey. I figured I could source the parts a lot cheaper.

I found a bunch of ss stators on egay. Those fools are smoking crack with those prices.

+1
    Got the impeller off and old bearings(what's left of one of them) out. Stub shaft looks good. Fwd bearing seat in the stator took a beating. That bearing was destroyed. The inner race split down the middle.

I found a rebuild kit on egay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WSM-Jet-Pump...9f30bc&vxp=mtr

Thread Information