How to test CDI and or Electrical Box??

Hello, I have a 1996 Polaris 780. It was killing batteries at the end of last year and this year I am not able to get it started. No click, no power, no nothing.

I used an electrical tester to test the main red power line running INTO the electrical box from the battery. My electrical tester light lit up. I tested the main red power cable that comes OUT OF the electrical box and my tester did not light up. So I clearly have a problem within the electrical box somewhere...

I have the electrical box open now. Looks clean aside from one small black wire that is burnt. Burnt wire does not connect to circuit board. It connects on the lid of box. Circuit board looks good. My questions are:
    How do i test the electrical box? What wires do I test?
    Same with my CDI inside the electrical box. How do I test it?

Just wondering which I should test first or if I should just replace electrical box and CDI al together..
    Thank you!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Burnt wire? Probably the Black wire that goes to the stator at the front of the engine has been damaged.

The common cause for this is a missing plastic battery cover. If the metal shell of the electrical box touches the battery positive post then the black stator wire usually gets toasted.

The normal fix is to replace the stator and attached wire bundle, or sometimes the wire bundle can be repaired by replacing the burned wire(s).

Regarding the heavy red wires, the one coming out of the electrical box feeds the starter motor. It is only energized when then Start button is pressed (and the Black stator wire has been repaired).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry0112gh View Post
    Hello, I have a 1996 Polaris 780. It was killing batteries at the end of last year and this year I am not able to get it started. No click, no power, no nothing.

I used an electrical tester to test the main red power line running INTO the electrical box from the battery. My electrical tester light lit up. I tested the main red power cable that comes OUT OF the electrical box and my tester did not light up. So I clearly have a problem within the electrical box somewhere...

I have the electrical box open now. Looks clean aside from one small black wire that is burnt. Burnt wire does not connect to circuit board. It connects on the lid of box. Circuit board looks good. My questions are:
    How do i test the electrical box? What wires do I test?
    Same with my CDI inside the electrical box. How do I test it?

Just wondering which I should test first or if I should just replace electrical box and CDI al together..
    Thank you!
    I can test your CDI for you. Will cost around $12 round trip....

PM me if interested. Check the black ground wire as K447 mentioned first though.
    Get that back into operating condition. If it is burnt through, nothing will work. If it is only semi-charred, intermittent issues will appear....
    Last edited by K447; 06-15-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I can test your CDI for you. Will cost around $12 round trip....
    Can you test any CDI? or just for the skis that you have?
    TIA.

Thread Information