+1

Question Pump shoe removal XPL 1998 - How ????

After many weeks of trial and error I believe my cavitation issue is down to the pump shoe/hull seal

I've removed the pump, all of the internal hoses, released the four through hull bolts (removed the top two but can't get enough clearance to whack the bottom two out), removed the VTS, steering cable, ride plate, intake grill, etc. etc.

so the only thing holding the pump shoe on is the sealant/glue - looks like it's already been replaced at least once judging by the two different colours of sealant visible through the bolt holes.

So calling all experts or anyone else that's done this before ...... what's the best way of getting the pump shoe off the hull (ideally in one piece so I can re-use it) ????????

I've seen Jerry's method but that won't work with my ski as the pump bolts are also the pump-shoe through hull bolts so I've nothing to pull

All ideas, thoughts, inputs gladly welcome

+1
    So you finally worked out its the shoe, they can be a PITA to remove. I have a simple idea with a picture to help

Get a long blade or box cutter that will cut through the sealant that is already on it.Cut as much as you can trying to get up into the pump tunnel sides as well and the bottom and the rear face where the pump bolts onto
    Cutting as much as you can is the key and will save time later

Then as per the picture gat a length of steel or timber 3 ft long with a chain or rope through it and around the pump shoe and lever off the rear bumper.Usually a little at a time until the sealant breaks away
    The longer the lever the easier it will be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHOE.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	332602  

When your done, it would be advisable to realign shoe and engine. I had to remove my shoe when I realigned the engine.

+1
    Neat idea that SURFnTURF will give it a go.

Yes I figured that the engine and coupling box would need re-aligning afterwards

Will get cutting and pulling ^^

+1
    OK I got stuck in today and judging by the easiness of removal I kinda get the impression that the silicone used (a white silicone exactly like bathroom sealant) was not doing much of anything ^^

Here's some progress photos ....

Hull

Rear of shoe

Hull after clean-up

Nearly finished getting the gunk off the rear of the shoe.

There seems to be white silicone over the top of black in places - does anyone know if the "right stuff" originally used by BRP was black??? I'm assuming it was/is and this shoe has been removed previously and refitted with a sub-standard white silicone sealant.

Yes. Right stuff is black

+1
    Thanks ) defo looks like someone else has done a "bodge job" on the shoe as it came off way too easy.

Ahhhh, you left us all hanging!
    Is it all sealed up with no cavitation?

+1
    Not had a chance to get it back on yet - too much work at the moment.

The shoe and hull are all cleaned up, just need to find the time to get them stuck back together - will update once I get there

Edit: Actually found an hour or so spare so have just finished sticking the shoe back on - that sticky stuff is not fun to get off my hairy arms, I know how the girls feel when they get their legs done now, lol

Will leave to dry for a few days (23 degrees over here at the moment) whilst I put the rest back together.

Will let you know how the test goes
    Last edited by LVC; 06-25-2014 at 06:04 AM.

+1
    After over a week of drying in lovely hot weather I was pretty sure that it would be stuck on so off to the lake .............

RESULT it's actually FIXED ..... I got 59.6 mph (95.9kph) three times on the hand-held GPS and wouldn't go higher - I reckon that's the limit with the 13/21 skat trak and the engine mods I've done - maybe if I filled the ride plate bolt holes in it may get over the 60 mph - we'll see.

Many thanks to everyone's input, I've learnt a lot from this one but most of all I've learnt that I really don't want to be messing around with old 2 stroke jets any more so she's going up for sale tonight to be followed by the 3D at the end of the season to make room for a Spark next year.

Thread Information