Thread: Riva gp1200r

Riva gp1200r

So I picked up this ski from another forum member this weekend. Took it out for a few today for a test run to see what issues it had. I gotta say, 30 minutes of riding and my arms and hands were killing me from trying to hold on. Something seems off though. I know squat about these things except the little bit of info I can find on here and the web. At idle, when taking off, seems like it's loading up then it takes off like a bat out of hell. Not sure if the cdi is set that way or the carbs are out of adjustment. Does the same thing when letting off the throttle to make a turn, seems to kind of bog then takes off like a rocket. Anyone familiar with this setup? It's almost not fun to ride because there's no smooth transition. It's either idle or balls to the wall. Can't just ease into it. Almost seems like the carbs are loading, then off she goes. Just wanted to know if the cdi timing is set up to do that or I need to adjust the carbs.

+1
    Probably needs carb adjustment.
    The low speed screw mostly adjusts idle mixture but does overlap slightly into the of idle transition. The low speed jet (pilot jet) is mostly for 1/3 throttle and lower. the adjustment in between those two is pop-off pressure. Pop-off pressure is responsible for the just off idle transition up to about 1/4 throttle. I think you need to adjust your pop-off pressure. If you think your transition is too rich, then you need to raise your pop-off pressure.

PM sent

+1
    Also make sure the powervalves are operating properly. Servo motors tend to go out and throttle response can be weird as a result. When you shut the engine down after a second the powervalve servo should cycle open then back. You can hear it with the seat on or slide hte seat back a little and remove the rubber boot to watch it.. Also, as you start from idle and move higher in rpms it should gradually open to full. Likely needs carb work too, but verify powervalve operation or you'll never get it right messing with the carbs.

I played with it a little today and turned the lows in a quarter turn and it seemed to clear it up some. On another note. Took the 97 out today after going through the carbs again. It was running better than ever. Eased it on up through mid throttle then wot and watched the rpms for any fall held steady at about 6900 on the tto, then about 30 seconds later died. Tried to restart, the dreaded starter drag. So, gotta rebuild now and I'm stumped as to what happened and why. Obviously a lean seizure but I don't know why. So is life.

Also, the 97 is completely dead. No gauges, no power at all. Is there a main fuse that could have blown? I can understand the engine not cranking but I'd think I'd at least have some kind of power. After it locked up, everything died.

Found the problem. Oil line slipped off.

+1
    Just so we are clear, the Riva GP1200R we were originally talking about in this thread is a non-powervalve 99 GP1200 that Riva modified, correct?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad2kmr View Post
    Found the problem. Oil line slipped off.
    Bummer.

Yeah, the 99 triple pipe. I got your pm, thanks for the info.

Thread Information