Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

96 sl700 low speed issue

Just bought a 96 sl700 im not a pwc guy, rode them alot when i was a kid but it has been 13 years or so since i rode one.

Its in good shape aside from fuel gauge not working, compression is 125-124 psi....i dropped brand new bpr8es plugs in it and took it for the first test ride.

Results are, it idles good, starts perfect but off idle it hesitates/bogs or misses it feels like.....like i said i havent rode in years and was to young to remember exactly how a 2 stroke ski reacts. It seems unless your up to 5-10 mph it has issues.....once you get it moving it works fine all positions of throttle works and it cruses and pulls to wot no problem at all...let off and it will idle it never stalls.

Im very lost and have very little pwc knowledge, can someone help and maybe point me in the right direction?....the hull stays very dry and the motor is clean and no sign of any leaks...pulled the plugs and they were text book spot on perfect golden tan....running premium fuel and ams oil hp marine oil.

Thanks for the help guys

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Do you know when the fuel system was last serviced?

Carburetors rebuilt in recent memory?

Banned User
    +1
    Sounds like an accel pump issue probably

+1
    no idea on fuel system service, previous owner was pretty clueless and seemed to not care alot....He did fog it and it was pretty oily in the plugs when i got it he claimed it hasnt seen water this year. So i filled it with fresh fuel and oil and new plugs and this is what i came out with.

Does it sound like a failed reed? or diaphragm issue?..... i dont feel its a jet issue seeing it runs perfect once you have got the prop up to speed.

Thanks bryan, do you suggest how to check or fix that issue?, like i said very new to pwcs, but have lots of sled and atv time and fairly comfortable with tools so.

thanks guys

+1
    It is most likely a carb issue as Bryan stated, try this, when its doing its 'bog' pull the choke out at least half way, if it snaps right up to rpm then its a lack of fuel problem. It would be best to have the carburetors rebuilt on something that old, otherwise you could end up with engine damage, lack of fuel on take off is no problem, but lack of fuel at full rpms is.

+1
    Okay i guess im ripping the carbs off because there are no people around that are into fixing these....Anyone have a link to step by step or video?
    Is this a hard process to remove them and work on them?

Also where is the best place online (that ships to canada) to order all the gaskets, and jets and needles ect..

+1
    seen some videos im pretty sure i can do the carb rebuild no problem, also plan to replace fuel filter, oil filter and all the lines likely to prevent any future issues.

My next question is reeds....i feel while i have the carbs out i should take the reeds out and inspect them now i cant seem to find a gasket kit for those where would i find those?

Also i plan to remove the fuel tank sending unit as i believe the float is no good, can this be done without pulling the tank out?

+1
    carbs are out, just have to order the rebuild kit...they dont look to bad so far. altho i have a fuel tank pressure issue you open the fuel cap and it sounds like a bottle of pop. So new check valve and all new lines and rebuild the carbs and go from there...next is should i pull the reeds and look at them or not???

+1
    alright guys hopefully someone starts chiming in, hope im not annoying everyone....today i got the intake off and the reeds out, and im pretty sure one reed is no good. Heres some pics of it and the reed and the carbs out.

carbs

Top left one isnt snapping shut, and theres a crack in the housing below it and the bottom 3rd one in is also cracked

+1
    Those reeds should be replaced, I do have a set of reeds & cages in very good condition I took out of a running 700 a couple years ago if you are interested. Did those reed cages have some sort of a 'stuffer' ( plastic part between reed cage & intake manifold)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information