Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2002 Genesis engine stopped, any pointers?

Hi all, I am new to the site but hope someone may be able to help me. The model is a 2002 polaris genesis injected model.

Went out on the skis, 1st time this yr and after around an hr of riding the genesis it just stopped lost all engine power. It sill had enough power to turn over the engine but would not fire.

We got it home and it doesn't appear to have any spark, but also the plugs are dry, and cannot smell fuel so not sure if its getting fuel either.

I am new to this ski so any pointers or things I could check myself would be great, so any advice appreciated.

Thanks Daz
    Last edited by K447; 06-16-2014 at 08:30 PM.

+1
    sad but probably the computer went out. Its expensive to fix, and there are companies out there that repair them. Had that exact things happen to mine. The stator key way went out, ruined my stator and computer. A common problem about a grand wont fix though! There are some good articles on this engine and topic. Search the forums.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Did the engine just suddenly stop while you were riding, or did it just not want to start again after you turned it off?

See my signature links for some useful info.

Are you able to do some diagnostics?

First thing I suggest is bypassing the LR-503 module. I don't recall exactly where it is located on your model year Genesis. Some years have it tucked behind the MFI display, access via a small panel when the hood is open. Other models have it strung along the wire harness somewhere.

Elsewhere I have posted how to insert a wire jumper to allow the engine to crank and start with the LR-503 module unplugged.

Next test is to tap into the White/Red wires somewhere. Keep all fuel injectors plugged in. Red multimeter probe to White/Red wire, black meter probe to engine ground. On a properly operating machine the voltage will jump up over 20 volts DC when the engine is cranking. When the engine starts the voltage jumps again to around 45 volts DC.

With lanyard in place and LR bypassed, let the machine sit for more than five minutes. The MFI display will go into sleep mode with the clock showing. Do not press any other buttons. Press and hold the Start button for a few seconds. The engine should crank. The MFI display should respond by waking up and the speedometer needle should do a full sweep. If the MFI does not respond to engine cranking that indicates that the EMM is not powering up or it does not sense the engine is rotating.

Quote Originally Posted by bighad View Post
    sad but probably the computer went out. Its expensive to fix, and there are companies out there that repair them. Had that exact things happen to mine. The stator key way went out, ruined my stator and computer. A common problem about a grand wont fix though! There are some good articles on this engine and topic. Search the forums.
    It happened whilst riding, it was like the lanyard was pulled!
    Was hopeing it wasn't that terminal

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Did the engine just suddenly stop while you were riding, or did it just not want to start again after you turned it off?

See my signature links for some useful info.

Are you able to do some diagnostics?

First thing I suggest is bypassing the LR-503 module. I don't recall exactly where it is located on your model year Genesis. Some years have it tucked behind the MFI display, access via a small panel when the hood is open. Other models have it strung along the wire harness somewhere.

Elsewhere I have posted how to insert a wire jumper to allow the engine to crank and start with the LR-503 module unplugged.

Next test is to tap into the White/Red wires somewhere. Keep all fuel injectors plugged in. Red multimeter probe to White/Red wire, black meter probe to engine ground. On a properly operating machine the voltage will jump up over 20 volts DC when the engine is cranking. When the engine starts the voltage jumps again to around 45 volts DC.

With lanyard in place and LR bypassed, let the machine sit for more than five minutes. The MFI display will go into sleep mode with the clock showing. Do not press any other buttons. Press and hold the Start button for a few seconds. The engine should crank. The MFI display should respond by waking up and the speedometer needle should do a full sweep. If the MFI does not respond to engine cranking that indicates that the EMM is not powering up or it does not sense the engine is rotating.
    Hi firstly many thanks for the in depth reply, I will check this out over the next day or 2 as the ski is stored at my fathers house and I am busy at work
    ill post the results as soon as possible
    Thanks again Daz

Hi does anyone know the location lr-503 on a 2002 genesis injected model
    ivr looked behind the display it's not there and I can't see it anywhere else
    cheers

As above still haven't found the lr-503 location on a 2002 genesis 1200 di

please help

+1
    I wish I had an injected Gen. I have a Virage i tho. My 503 is located under the console close to the EMM. I have to pull the bow storage bucket to access the EMM.

Hope this helps.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by psaila View Post
    As above still haven't found the lr-503 location on a 2002 genesis 1200 di

please help
    On some Genesis there is electrical gear behind the front bulkhead cover. There is a flat plastic plate in the bulkhead held in with a ring of small bolts. Remove that cover and look in behind.

Hi finally got round to doing your tests.
    I unpluged the lr-503 module and bypassed the pins and it still didn't start.
    I waited for the mfi to go sleep then tried to start it and it responded, everything illuminated and it did full sweep.
    I checked for voltage on the injector wire white/red and it has 21v on cranking.
    I popped out the cps and half of it's chewed up! So think I may have found the problem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	334405  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information