Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Alignment of pump shoe on hull

I have to pull and replace my pump shoe on my 09 px due to the damage it took when my pump shaft decided to break. Is there a procedure for aligning the shoe on the hull? I know that the engine will need to be re-aligned once the shoe is set, so I am getting the tool from the online store.

Also, is there a plave to get the motor shims from? Obviously there are shims installed, but if I need more, do they sell a variety pack with different sizes, or do you guys measure them then order up parts?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Jeff

+1
    I know sbt has the shims, not sure if the store on here has them, but if they do, support the forums.

Banned User
    +1
    Get rid of ALL RESIDUE...

There are shims behind the shoe, SAVE THEM....

DRY FIT, DRY FIT, DRY FIT...

Get the show aligned with the thru hull fitting, not the motor...Center it as perfect as you can while dry...

Note any and all shims that you used for alignment of the show, note their position...

Remove everything, clean everything...

I used a single tube of black 100% silicone, you can get it at any hardware store...Others might protest, but if the fitment is good, it will do the job...

I used a liberal amount on all areas...

I installed the shoe, with shims...tighten but not TOO TIGHT...

I then installed the alignment tool (tight as normal), pushed the shaft through until it just touched the motor, and let it sit...

I slowly tightened the shoe until the shaft was EVENLY CENTERED in the fitting...

Once satisfied, I removed the shaft...but left the alignment fitting on....

I left it to dry for 24 hours...

Came back, checked alignment...it was good, I tool the alignment fitting off the pump...LEFT IT ALONE till the next weekend, gave it a few days to SET...

6 years later, still straight

4. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    OH, and when you do the motor...Use the shims that were there, most likely you will FRONT shims...So I used some wide stainless fender washers between the front mount and the block fitting...When I maxed out on my shims, I removed a few shims, swapped for a washer of same thickness as them, and started over...It only took 1 washer...

+1
    That sounds do-able. I can definatly take my time on this as the ski is now down. Thanks Danny, you are awesome! I will get everything on order and start disassembly again on it. Hoping to get this ski in the water before the end of the season, we will see how funds play out.

+1
    Make sure you get a nice digital caliper and align the shoe with the through hull then move the engine to match the alignment tool

+1
    I recommend this. 10.1 oz I get two. I also use this on the rideplate. I usually find this size at bennent auto supply

+1
    ^--- Only thing I'd ever use.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    ^--- Only thing I'd ever use.

Not me...Right stuff is a flexable silicone....IF you dont want any chance of your pump shoe flexing why would you use a silicone that is made for this???NOT trying to debate this...just asking a question as my comments and opinions are of my own being...I am sure as always the professionals will provide me with the correct answers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1 View Post
    That sounds do-able. I can definatly take my time on this as the ski is now down. Thanks Danny, you are awesome! I will get everything on order and start disassembly again on it. Hoping to get this ski in the water before the end of the season, we will see how funds play out.

It is do-able..time consuming BUT do-able....I bet if you sweet talk Danny he will be more than willing to help you get this done the right way.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information