Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

wireless routers

i know we prolly have some network gurus on here so what do yall recommend for a wireless router?

i currently have a netgear n600 that is at least 5 years old if not more and it loves to drop the wifi single on out cell phones. did it with the iphone 4 and now with teh nexus 5 and lg g2. so its time for a new one.

ive been eyeballing this one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-AC1750...eywords=ea6700

one key thing i want is superior range. i have a 1700 sq ft house and the router is in the living room but on the front porch there is no wifi. figured since our phones will handle the new AC band why not go for one with that.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    My recommendation is the Apple AirPort products. These tend to be very stable and reliable, rarely give any trouble, just keep working.

Apple AirPort Extreme router prices are comparable to competing high end routers, but with generally better firmware stability and support over time.

Security tends to be properly implemented. The resulting WiFi network of course also works with Windows and Android, not just Apple gear.

Configuration and even firmware updates are managed using a free AirPort Utility software provided by Apple which works from Windows, Macs and even iPhones and iPads. The app auto recognizes the network topology and displays a visual diagram of the system.

A useful feature of the Apple system I utilize is to extend and reinforce the WiFi signal using a couple of Apple AirPort Express modules located in distant corners of the house. These cost $99 each. I run Ethernet cable between the Express modules and the main AirPort Extreme WiFi router.

The result is strong WiFi everywhere, with easy expansion if and where needed. The AirPort Express modules have other interesting capabilities including streaming AirPlay audio to a local amplifier and speakers, even a USB port.

Apple AirPort also supports providing a segregated Guest WiFi network so visitors/guests can access your Internet (if you tell them the guest password) without giving them your main WiFi password.

Even if their laptop has malware or they visit bad web sites it cannot leach onto your own computers as the guest network is isolated. The AirPort Express units also extend the guest WiFi network, which apparently very few competing systems allow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AirPort-Utility-for-iOS.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	875.0 KB 
ID:	332866

+1
    i am very familiar with that setup as i used to sell it that same way when i worked for apple. the only apple device left in my house is the ipad 2 BUT those work across the board.

what i want to avoid is multiple devices. even if the wifi is not as fast ont he porch as it is in the living roomt hats ok as long as its there. sucks to have to use LTE at home.

+1
    The new AC spec is supposed to have superior range, but the router I recently bought has been a mixed bag of results. I bought this one after reading the strong review from Cnet:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320174

Like you, I wanted something with better range because I want to put it in my garage, which is where the Cat-6 running through the house is dropped & where I plan to also place my modem, switch & patch panel. For the first few days it was working great but then started dropping the signal for my 2.4GHz devices. I moved it inside & was still having troubles with it dropping the signal on that band until I updated the firmware. I haven't tried moving it back outside yet. The strength on the 5GHz band has been great though, no matter where I had it placed.

The speed on this router rocks. Even using my laptop with the older N adapter, the difference is night & day compared to my old Cisco WRT610N. When you look at the network connection speed, it only reads 65Mbps, but what I understand about the TurboQAM technology is that it's actually connecting to 3 separate signals at that speed. I was a little confused at first, considering my old router usually always showed a 100Mbps connection, but the first time I pulled up a video & saw how fast it buffered, I knew for sure it was MUCH faster than the 65Mbps Windows was displaying.

So far, our phones are the only devices running on the 5GHz band, but I have a new laptop on the way that I ordered with an 802.11AC network adapter, so I'm really looking forward to how it will perform taking full advantage of the AC router. Wasn't really ready for a new laptop but had no choice after my 2 yr old dropped my current one on the tile floor & busted the charge port.

This is what I'm seeing for download speeds with the Asus router with my old laptop(N adapter on 2.4GHz band). Not too shabby...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 18 21.13.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	333090  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    ... still having troubles with it dropping the signal on that band until I updated the firmware....

This is what I'm seeing for download speeds with the Asus router with my old laptop(N adapter on 2.4GHz band). Not too shabby...
    Firmware update issues and weird problems. Reasons I like the Apple WiFi gear, this sort of thing tends to not happen.

My iPad on WiFi via Apple AirPort WiFi;

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	333100
    Last edited by K447; 06-18-2014 at 11:36 PM.

+1
    I have several Asus RT-AC66U routers and can say they do work great. I just replaced a Linksys EA6700 with the Asus as it would continually drop connections.
    The Asus has a great user interface, simple to configure and has much better range. There is also a setting where you can increase the Tx power.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... still having troubles with it dropping the signal on that band until I updated the firmware....

Firmware update issues and weird problems. Reasons I like the Apple WiFi gear, this sort of thing tends to not happen.

Mine is a PC/Android household. No Crapple products here. I read the reviews on that router before buying, & as has been my experience with other Apple stuff, I understand they are stable & easy to use, but the trade-off is an overly simplistic & inflexible product. I also swore I'd NEVER install Apple software on any of my systems again after getting rid of our Iphones. Itunes infected my laptop like a virus, & it was a huge PITA getting it completely uninstalled. At the same time, I was a little hesitant to plunk down top of the line money for an Asus product, which is a company I've always considered to be a bargain basement manufacturer. Besides their HORRIBLE customer service(don't even bother trying to call their tech support #), it's been so far so good after updating the firmware.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Mine is a PC/Android household. No Crapple products here. I read the reviews on that router before buying, & as has been my experience with other Apple stuff, I understand they are stable & easy to use, but the trade-off is an overly simplistic & inflexible product. I also swore I'd NEVER install Apple software on any of my systems again after getting rid of our Iphones. Itunes infected my laptop like a virus, & it was a huge PITA getting it completely uninstalled. At the same time, I was a little hesitant to plunk down top of the line money for an Asus product, which is a company I've always considered to be a bargain basement manufacturer. Besides their HORRIBLE customer service(don't even bother trying to call their tech support #), it's been so far so good after updating the firmware.
    AMEN! When itunes first came out I called it a virus...never used it again. Asus has come a long way these days.

+1
    Mine is a PC/Android household.

...has been my experience with other Apple stuff, I understand they are stable & easy to use, but the trade-off is an overly simplistic & inflexible product.

... I was a little hesitant to plunk down top of the line money for an Asus product, which is a company I've always considered to be a bargain basement manufacturer. Besides their HORRIBLE customer service (don't even bother trying to call their tech support #)...
    What flexibility would you want from a WiFi router that the AirPort Extreme does not provide?

I presume you enjoy the complexity of the non-Apple products

I can agree that iTunes on windows is not stellar, but the proper way to use Apple gear is to use all Apple gear. This will become even more apparent as time moves on and the integration advantages compound.

In an Apple centric household I spend very little time doing any technical support. In general the stuff just works as expected. When I do have issues they are typically sorted out in short order.

I recently had an Apple Time Capsule WiFi router go slightly flakey. It was over two years old and out of warranty. Or so I thought.

Turns out that if any of the Apple Computers in the house are covered under the AppleCare+ warranty (3 years) then ALL of the Apple networking gear in the house is also covered, automatically. Three days later a brand new replacement Apple router arrived at the house. Packed up the old unit in the provided box and returned via prepaid (by Apple) return courier. Zero cost to me.

Apple provided excellent telephone technical support and the problem was properly diagnosed by competent people. My support requests were answered within minutes.

If you have been away from Apple products (other than iPhones and iTunes on Windows) for a few years you may be surprised by the level of polish and completeness.

Apple generally only sells premium grade gear but surprising to many is that the Apple prices tend to be on par with premium products from other brands. Sometimes the Apple product is actually less expensive, when comparing similar grade alternatives.

I worked with Windows for decades, and I still have a now rather lonely single Dell laptop on my desk. I boot it up every few weeks to install updates. That one Windows machine takes more time maintaining it than all the other Apple stuff I have.

I used to enjoy the endless potential complexity and 'flexibility' of the Windows world. Configure anything any way I wanted, change and tweak it again and again. Figuring out what went wrong, and how to get it fixed, was part of the game. I no longer have much interest in playing that game.

Android seems quite similar to Windows in this regard.
    Last edited by K447; 06-19-2014 at 04:41 PM.

+1
    I also called itunes and then the iphone an Apple gateway drug. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information