Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Found Small Crack - Any Ideas?

I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I just bought a new GTR 215 about 2 weeks ago, and made my first/hopefully my last rookie mistake.
    I was riding in a saltwater bay in Texas (Very muddy water), and came up on a shoal. First instinct was reverse to avoid it, but my bow went down, caught on the shoal, and I sucked in a bunch of rocks etc. (hindsight 20/20)

I've already bought a new wear ring/solas impeller (will get original reworked as backup), but I found a small crack in my hull under my prop shaft. I've tried searching the interwebs, as well as greenhulk, but haven't seen this problem. I'm doing the wear ring/impeller replacement myself as the dealer wants $400-600 to do it, and has a minimum of 2 weeks before they can even look at it.

Here are a couple pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	332867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	332868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	332869

Is this bad? Can I fix it myself? Any help is really appreciated!!!

+1
    IMO call your ins co!

+1
    i think this has nothing to do with the rocks and mud you hit.. you could tap 2 holes and put a little plate on top.. and put some stainless screws in. so it would not crack any more.. im on a island.. far away from parts. if i was in usa. replace. just to be sure.

+1
    Thanks for the replies, going to go talk to a dealer at lunch time to see what their opinion on this is. Here is another picture. This one is a little clearer, and it almost looks as thought this has been repaired before? It looks like it was plastic welded or dried/painted goop or something around it, but I bought it brand new?

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	141 
ID:	332958

Quote Originally Posted by Tkeough View Post
    Thanks for the replies, going to go talk to a dealer at lunch time to see what their opinion on this is. Here is another picture. This one is a little clearer, and it almost looks as thought this has been repaired before? It looks like it was plastic welded or dried/painted goop or something around it, but I bought it brand new?

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	141 
ID:	332958
    That sure does look like some repair worked was performed in that area. Or else it's where two seams come together and are bonded at the time of manufacture. Does not look good.

6. +1 by:

+1
    We had one similar to that a few years ago. A body shop in Sugarland fixed the hull and I did the mechanical.

PM me for info

If you are going to try to get Mancuso to step up and repair that, then forget it.

8. +1 by:

+1
    I had that feeling about Mancuso, bad vibes from the beginning, but they had the model I was looking for readily available so I took it. I dealt with the 45 North location, but had bad dealings with the 59 south location from the get-go and don't want to go back there.

I went to Wild West Motorplex on I-10 since I live/work fairly close to them and they recommended a fiberglass shop in Katy. The guy at the fiberglass shop currently has my Seadoo, he said he thinks it's just the gel coat, but will have to get in there to see. If it's just the gel coat, he will fix it for me for free! Hopefully I'll be back on the water this weekend

+1
    Good news! Fiberglass guy cut into it to check the damage and apparently it was just a deep scratch, no real damage! His guess is that it may have been the tool they used to press in the bearing/seal around the shaft at the factory.

Should be back on the water this weekend!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tkeough View Post
    Good news! Fiberglass guy cut into it to check the damage and apparently it was just a deep scratch, no real damage! His guess is that it may have been the tool they used to press in the bearing/seal around the shaft at the factory.

Should be back on the water this weekend!

Cheers!
    From the looks of the pic, though, something happened in that specific area that caused the gelcote to look the way it did. Maybe they scratched it at the factory and then repaired it poorly?

+1
    I think that's what the guy was hinting at aswell. He also told me it's not uncommon for the gelcoat to get small cracks but it usually take 6 months-1 year of use.

It was a free repair (he wouldn't take my money), so I'm happy with the outcome. Although I am still puzzled about precisely how it got there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information