2001 Polaris Virage Steering Cable broken, how easy is the replacement

Ok, first timer here, so bare with me. I have an 01 Virage 3 seater, and today I took it out, and after a good hour of running it, I could no longer steer to the right. Straight was fine, left was fine, but no action to the right. Upon getting it out and on the trailer, I noticed the linkage coming through the back of the hull to the steering piece (sorry, dont know what its actually called) was loose. The little white plastic locking washer was gone, and the black rubber washer was still there, but it was not holding in place against the hull via the giant white nut that screws into the outside of the hull. I assume I need an all new steering cable assembly, and thats fine, but how hard is it to get this one out, and replace it with a new one? Any help would be awesome!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You just need to replace the plastic retaining nut that holds the steering cable into the hull pass through?

If I recall correctly there is a size of common bathroom toilet hose connection that will fit. This would be the plastic nut that holds the flex pipe into the bottom of the toilet water feed fitting.

If you figure out what size/thread is the correct one, post it here so others can know.

I actually came across the parts needed, the entire cable for about $40. I've never really gotten into the steering area of my ski. How the heck do I get into the front half to work on it. The back seems easy enough, but I've yet to actually see where it connects in relation to the handle bars

Hi jaybird, I too have to replace my steering cable after hitting a submerged piece of wood. The attachment on the outside of the hull has separated and the cable is stretched.

How did you make out replacing the cable.

Does anyone know if the part number for the 2002 1200 Virage steering cable is the same for all the 1200 Virages?

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird3310 View Post
    ... I've never really gotten into the steering area of my ski.

How the heck do I get into the front half to work on it? The back seems easy enough, but I've yet to actually see where it connects in relation to the handle bars
    At the front all work is done from the front storage area with the bucket removed. The steering cable sheath is secured to a bracket above the fuel tank. The bracket has a slot so once the nuts are loosened the cable just pulls forward and comes out.

The cable core end is a small bolt, washer and nut holding the heim joint to the steering arm. With the handlebars at full left turn you can just get a wrench on the small nut and bolt. The bolt head is awkward to get a wrench on since you will be working blind.

Going from memory the box wrench for the bolt head was 5/16 and the nut was 8mm. For whatever reason the bolt head did not want to fit my metric wrenches...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dougwoods View Post
    Does anyone know if the part number for the 2002 1200 Virage steering cable is the same for all the 1200 Virages?
    As far as I know the steering cable is the same for all models and years of Virage. You can check the part numbers using the Polaris Industries parts cross reference web site. Links from my signature.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird3310 View Post
    ... I've never really gotten into the steering area of my ski.

How the heck do I get into the front half to work on it? The back seems easy enough, but I've yet to actually see where it connects in relation to the handle bars
    At the front all work is done from the front storage area with the bucket removed. The steering cable sheath is secured to a bracket above the fuel tank. The bracket has a slot so once the nuts are loosened the cable just pulls forward and comes out.

The cable core end is a small bolt, washer and nut holding the heim joint to the steering arm. With the handlebars at full left turn you can just get a wrench on the small nut and bolt. The bolt head is awkward to get a wrench on since you will be working blind.

Going from memory the box wrench for the bolt head was 5/16 and the nut was 8mm. For whatever reason the bolt head did not want to fit my metric wrenches...
    5/16 and 8mm are almost identical in size......interesting one would work and the other wouldn't

Thread Information