Angry Ultra 150 Cooling Issue after motor heats up.

HI guys! I am totally new to the ski world. I will list my problem first to keep you from reading a novel. And at the end is the history if anyone can help. And I hope its not posted already. I didnt see anything like this on here. OK.here goes:
    Have a 2004 Ultra 150 that stops pissing after it warms up. When its cold it pisses, runs great then after time it goes into limp mode and stops pissing. No water anywhere, and I have a hose to test to make sure all lines are clear. Is this a compression issue or and exhaust leak blowing out the water? The first day I bought it the water log line blew off and it sank (like 6 inches of the nose was sticking out). Bu after getting it back running its the same problem with out the hose blowing off. Please help me on this one. Could there be a thermostat? ( never saw on and manual doesnt say anything about it) And is the line to the water log is the inlet,correct? Just want to make sure the line is connected correctly. This ski was used. OK thanks for reading.
    HERE IS THE HISTORY OF THE LAST TWO WEEKS!
    I went and looked at a 2004 ultra 150 with less than 100 hours on it. I was told that it was rebuilt and has about 10 hours on the new rebuild. I was told that it is all stock.
    Since there are no waterways around close to test, the guy hooks up a compression gauge and shows me 115 across the top of all three cylinders. Again, I am new so don't know exactly what new rebuilt compression on stock heads should be. Next he says the bike has not been in the water for two years. SO he puts plugs in it, fires it up and it fires up instantly not even using the choke. Sounds pretty good,revs ok around 7 or so. SO i pick it up.
    I get it home clean it upstart researching and doing the common things that ultras need.
    changed oil lines
    changed fuel lines
    new fuel
    new oil
    sealed multifunction
    new throttle
    new plugs
    water kit for running on the hose.
    so I hook up to the hose and run it like forum says start motor, start water ,stop water , stop motor.
    Water comes out all three outlets( two in the rear ,one in the front)
    PISSER KIT ON THE WAY!
    SO everything seems ok so far.Now for the water test:
    Put it in the water. fires right up! pisses great So I start off slow (all good), about 10 mins in i try higher speeds, no problem. Now its about an hour into start and stops.. everything seems ok. Tops out about 64 on gauge so really way slower. haha.
    I make one more pass(HERE IS WHERE IT GETS CRAZY)
    Make the pass,sounds great...... slow down and instantly runs like ass. Goes into limp mode and temp comes on. ok i check my one lonely pisser(nothing)... But it was pissing at 60 two seconds ago. SO as i am limping to shore the ass end starts sinking and before I get to dock its totally under with about 6 inches sticking out the top. SO basically a brand new river marker. I go grab a friend and we pull it out.
    Ok get it back to shop and see that water log line is blow off and I guess thats what filled the hull so fast.still lost gauges because of a crack in the face. Clear everything out..new plugs,fuel,oil, check all electrics, Then Fire it up. SOunds ok at first then clears out. Back to 7k. Go hook up water and all seems ok. So back to the water. Same thing.as then first time, runs good,pisses ok,warms up, goes into limp mode and stops pissing.then hard to start. check all lines for trash and everything ok. Can blow both ways. From water log out pissers and exhaust.and out the line out of the hull where the pump is.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Stage 2!

Sounds like nobody really has any ideas. Are you running in water that has a lot of debris or something? If it's pissing, then it stops, it sounds like you're getting trash in it.

I run a Groco strainer in mine. It was nearly full with sand once and still pissed like a race horse. Good insurance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Stage 2!

Sounds like nobody really has any ideas. Are you running in water that has a lot of debris or something? If it's pissing, then it stops, it sounds like you're getting trash in it.

I run a Groco strainer in mine. It was nearly full with sand once and still pissed like a race horse. Good insurance IMO.
    If I was going to put in a strainer, where would I put it? I'm pretty new to ski's myself. Also, if I run my Ultra on a hose should water be coming out of the pissers (front hull and rear above pump)? Thanks,Mike

+1
    The strainer needs to go in the coolant water hose coming from the pump. Not much place to put it, I hung mine underneath the air box. I'd recommend the Groco WSB-500. Carry a strap wrench so you can open it while out on the water. Also, carry a 1/2" barb splice connector, just in case you develop a leak (I never have).

While running on the hose, I get some water out the pissers. Depends on how much you open the hose valve.

Remember, NEVER allow the water to run unless the engine is running. Start the engine, THEN turn on the water. Turn off the water, THEN turn off the engine.

Thread Information