+1

Raider pump/handling question

Hello all. I have a 96 Raider 760 I have been slowly bringing back to life. Rebuilt engine, changed all fuel and oil lines, etc. Recently started working on the handling. Added a Pro-Tec extended nozzle, and an R&D ride plate. Makes a world of difference in turning, and handling, but at full speed on relatively calm water the nose wants to porpoise. Had not shimmed it at that point. Added an R&D AquaVein intake grate, and on take-off from dead stop, the pump sucks so much air it hardly even bites the water. Once it noses over, pump pulls like a freight train. I shimmed the aft portion of the ride plate down, and it is somewhat better, still sucks air but not as bad. Pulls even better now once the nose is planted down in the water. Bad thing is top end speed is affected severely.
    Now my question. I noticed the rear of the pump intake opening (where the pump and ride plate meet) is not on the same "plane". The rear if the pump intake sits lower in the water than the ride plate, by maybe 1/4 inch or a little more. It is enough of a trailing edge to make at least a somewhat turbulent area I would think. Should I shim the ride plate and pump intake flush together and the plate level with the mount so they make a smooth transition through the water before I start to tune the plate? I understand that lowering the rear of the ride plate lowers the nose. I have to get it to stop sucking air at takeoff.
    Also, I know there have been many before me that have worked on the raiders.....can the aquavein/ride plate combo even be tuned to not suck air at takeoff? Is the raider better off using the stock grate with the center bars cut out? BTW, the stock intake grate did not have a cavitation issue, and I checked my pump to impeller clearance....014. Any comments and insight are greatly appreciated!

+1
    My 1100 had a decent holeshot with an oceanpro ride plate and intake grate. I did seal all the voids between the two though.

I have no experience with the AquaVein I use the stock one minus center bar and extended rideplate shimmed.
    where are you setting your QSTS?

+1
    Setting it nose down to start....then come up with it. Been doing extensive research and I think the general concensus is remove the center bars from the stock grate. With the stock grate it had a terrific holeshot.

Thread Information