Thread: Gas pump

Gas pump

I know some of you drain the left over fuel from your ski after a ride and run it in your vehicle so it doesnt go bad.

The question is, what kind of pump are you using to transfer the fuel? I thought about using a pump I have that works off a cordless drill but I dont know if it would be safe for fuel since a drill has sparks inside that could ignite the fumes? I dont like the old suck and spit method of syphoning.

+1
    Go to Harbor Freight. I could not find it on their website, but they have a syphon tube that is nothing more than clear tubing with a check ball in 1 end. You run that end into your gas tank, "jack the hose off" and then the gas is on the move. I would never have believed something could work so good and fast if I would not have seen it for myself. The thing cost like $8.00. I love mine.

+1
    I use the pump in the gas tank.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    I know some of you drain the left over fuel from your ski after a ride and run it in your vehicle so it doesnt go bad.

The question is, what kind of pump are you using to transfer the fuel? I thought about using a pump I have that works off a cordless drill but I dont know if it would be safe for fuel since a drill has sparks inside that could ignite the fumes? I dont like the old suck and spit method of syphoning.
    Depends on how long your ski has been sitting. If it has sat for months, say 6 months and there is only 1/4 tank in there, you can top off with fresh gas and it will dilute the old gas and you'll be fine especially if it is a stock compression ski.

If the ski has sat up all winter, I would remove all the gas. Fuel stabilizer works well too if you plan to let it sit up for stabilizing the fuel.

NOTE: For skis that have sat up all winter with low fuel, moisture can condense and drop out in the tank.

For EFI machines, if you want to drain the tank, you can disconnect where the fuel line comes from the gas tank and attach 4-5' of 3/8" hose all the way to a gas can on the ground, attach your lanyard and bump the start buttom and allow the internal electric fuel pump to pump down your gas tank. as WFO said, use the pump in the tank.

Go to Harbor Freight. I could not find it on their website, but they have a syphon tube that is nothing more than clear tubing with a check ball in 1 end. You run that end into your gas tank, "jack the hose off" and then the gas is on the move. I would never have believed something could work so good and fast if I would not have seen it for myself. The thing cost like $8.00. I love mine.
    I have this siphon hose also for my carbed boats, KIRK is right ! it works great also !
    I carry this in my truck at all times...procurement.

Last edited by RX951; 03-31-2007 at 10:09 AM.

+1
    On the EFIs, gently open the harness on the port side near the battery box, find the all blue wire, probe and run a jumper from the + battery power.

When finished, tape the wire up good to prevent moisture from entering the wiring.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    On the EFIs, gently open the harness on the port side near the battery box, find the all blue wire, probe and run a jumper from the + battery power.

When finished, tape the wire up good to prevent moisture from entering the wiring.

There ya go, another very good tip ! Thanks Rich

Once again. Thanks guys!

Thread Information