Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

All this valve stuff is making me nuts

So! I have this 05 RXP and thought I pretty much had the one weak spot ( ceramic supercharger washers ) taken care of and now you guys have me scared shitless that my hollow sodium filled Valves are gonna break to pieces and destroy my motor. So! with that said, I looked at the Supertech valves and I think I'm going to order them and I was just curious if I should also replace the stock valve springs with the Supertech Valve springs or just stick with stock ones and is there anything else in the valve train that I should replace that is going cause me problems in the future. Jerry's gotta love you guys for drummin up business on his Parts store. I come on here, because you guys are the experts and know better than anyone what are the problem spots with jet ski's. Dang! it, now I won't be able to buy Christmas presents this year, thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by MarineBoy View Post
    So! I have this 05 RXP and thought I pretty much had the one weak spot ( ceramic supercharger washers ) taken care of and now you guys have me scared shitless that my hollow sodium filled Valves are gonna break to pieces and destroy my motor. So! with that said, I looked at the Supertech valves and I think I'm going to order them and I was just curious if I should also replace the stock valve springs with the Supertech Valve springs or just stick with stock ones and is there anything else in the valve train that I should replace that is going cause me problems in the future. Jerry's gotta love you guys for drummin up business on his Parts store. I come on here, because you guys are the experts and know better than anyone what are the problem spots with jet ski's. Dang! it, now I won't be able to buy Christmas presents this year, thanks guys
    Join the club. This is a scary place. I just got back into the PWC game after 15 years raising young kids and thought I scored some awesome skis. A 2006 Wake 155 with 40 hours and a 2007 Wake 215 with 30 hours. Both mint. I've already sent Jerry the SC from the 215 and pulled the valve cover off the 155 to take a peek at what's in there (and could not get a clean look at any of the numbers on the valve stems). I fear dropping a valve out of the 155.

Any of you gurus out there care to give me a heads up on how to get a cleaner look at the valves? Unbolt the cam? Spin the motor over and hope a valve rotates?

By the way, how are these valves adjusted? Are they hydraulic tappets? Do they fall out when I lift the rocker assemblies up? HELP!!!!!

+1
    i would replace springs to.. just buy a full set.. springs and valves.. when you decide to take on more rpms/mods.. your all ready done.. f christmas... haha

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcitypops View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineBoy View Post
    Join the club. This is a scary place. I just got back into the PWC game after 15 years raising young kids and thought I scored some awesome skis. A 2006 Wake 155 with 40 hours and a 2007 Wake 215 with 30 hours. Both mint. I've already sent Jerry the SC from the 215 and pulled the valve cover off the 155 to take a peek at what's in there (and could not get a clean look at any of the numbers on the valve stems). I fear dropping a valve out of the 155.

Any of you gurus out there care to give me a heads up on how to get a cleaner look at the valves? Unbolt the cam? Spin the motor over and hope a valve rotates?

By the way, how are these valves adjusted? Are they hydraulic tappets? Do they fall out when I lift the rocker assemblies up? HELP!!!!!
    unbolt the cam.. but why openup? is it broken?

+1
    don't unbolt the cam!! bad thing can follow, and then you may need valve for sure.

+1
    if he wants to see the valves.. you need to open up? thats why i ask? why open up?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spacerrr View Post
    if he wants to see the valves.. you need to open up? thats why i ask? why open up?
    better to get new rocker bolts and pull the rockers then un bolt the cam bolts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
    X2

If you get a good magnifying glass the top of the valve stem can be seen by just removing the valve cover.

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
    X2

If you get a good magnifying glass the top of the valve stem can be seen by just removing the valve cover.
    My valves are just ill positioned right now as the motor presently sits. All the numbers are facing the intake manifold and cannot be seen.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcitypops View Post
    They are adjusted by the hydraulic tappets in/on the ends of the rocker arms...No they will not fall out if you lift the shaft out..you have to be carefull as the rocker arms can and do slide off pretty easy.....

unbolt the cam.. but why openup? is it broken?
    DO NOT unbolt the cam as Andy has stated..You do NOT need to remove the cam to see the valve numbers..they are located at the top of the stem above the keeper.....You can remove the rocker shaft as it may make it easier to see the top of the stems BUT the cam should not be messed with..And as others have stated IF you remove the riocker bolts it is wise to replace them with a new set as the are torque to yield bolts...

Here is a pic of were the numbers are located to help you out..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040596.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	333420  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information