Engine refusing to turn over. Virage TX1200

Hi any ideas why it won't turn over. When the start button is pressed it makes all the right noises as if it is going to turn over but seems to stop dead.
    Battery is good. Terminals and contacts are good. I have tried by passing the solenoid but the result is the same. When it seems to 'jam up' for want of a better phrase it emits a high pitched whine which sounds electrical but I am not sure.
    Can anybody pinpoint the fault?
    Thank you.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

What's the story with your ski? New to you? First time ever starting it? When did it last run?

First thing I would look at is the jetpump... to make sure it's not jammed with a rock or that the wear ring hasn't swollen and jammed the impellor. You might pull it and inspect... then with the jetpump and driveshaft removed from the equation... try turning over the engine again. (see link below for details on pulling pump)

Next, I would pull the spark plugs to remove compression issues and to peer down into the cylinders to look for anything amiss. This will also make cranking of the engine over easier on the battery starter. If you had or suspect a stuck piston ring you might be able to spray some penetrating oil (PB Blaster) down in the cylinder and tap the piston top with a wooden dowel to ensure the piston isn't frozen.

I'd start there. See this link for TONs of Polaris specific info and tips, etc.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Cheers!
    Last edited by K447; 06-17-2014 at 12:06 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to the hulk.

sounds like the engine is flooded.

careful, if it flooded with fuel the risk of fire is extreme.

move the ski outside. Have fire bottle(better) or hose ( not so good) available

turn off fuel valve

take out the spark plugs, move the plug wires far far away. (And cover them)

put a bunch of rags over the cylinder head.., weigh them down with something( a 2x4 works)
    -touch- the starter button. If fuel comes out in large quantities ( like the bellagio fountain in vegas) your fuel system needs service.

some history on the ski is reallllly helpful here

Thank you for your responses.
    I have had the ski from new - bought in 2000.
    It has done very low hours (less than 70) and usually gets on the water 3 or 4 times a year.
    All usage has been on the sea but engine is flushed with fresh water thoroughly after each use.
    At end of each season all cables etc are oiled and plugs removed and a small squirt of oil is put in each cylinder. Plug holes are then plugged with cloth to prevent crap getting in.
    The engine was last run last September and fired up/turned over no problem.
    I have recently replaced the battery for this season with a bigger version as I found the other one was going flat to easily.
    Generally I have had no problem with the ski until now!
    One other thing but I don't think it is linked as the ski has run ok with the fault - the digital screen display is corrupted.

I have tried it without the plugs and the same problem is there. It is as if it is being physically prevented from turning. I will check the pistons but don't think that is the problem. Seizure of drive shaft sounds worth investigating.

I am pretty sure it isn't a fuel issue. It seems mechanical.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendine View Post
    ... the ski has run ok with the fault - the digital screen display is corrupted.
    The broken display may not be a cause of the current problem, but it is possible the display will cause a problem later.

The MFI display has a security feature that can prevent the Start button from cranking the engine. You can bypass this for inside the electrical box or at the connector behind the display. Bypass of the security feature will ensure that the Start button will be allowed to work even if the display gets worse internally.

+1
    I'm betting swollen wear ring jamming the impeller in the jetpump. Pull the jetpump (4 long bolts)... could be tough if it's jammed... and I'm thinking it'll turn over then.

Cheers!

9. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    jetpump is certainly the next stop..go out and spray all the bolts down with penetrant and then let it sit a day..those bolts are fond of breaking. You could however go take a look up the pump tunnel and in the pump itself while you wait...

Ripcuda my friend you were bang on the mark! Managed to get the jetpump off and the engine turned like a good one! Now to free up the blade from the housing. Thank you for your assistance.

Thread Information