Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pro 1200 was sitting for years, A big thank you to K447

Your pictorial about pulling the jet drive was spot on. I got that puppy out in no time. The long bolts wanted to give me trouble, but, a little heat convinced them otherwise.

I do have what seems like a dumb question, but keep in mind that I have never even been near a pwc before.

When I went to turn over this machine, (pro 1200) I found it was locked up tight. I read some of your other posts and figured to try pulling the jet drive.

That worked and the engine turns over fine (125 lb compression all 3 cylinder).

Also, the jet turns over fine on the bench, so I guess my question is... how do you know when this thing is in gear or in reverse? and would that cause it to lock up that way?
    Last edited by K447; 06-18-2014 at 07:29 AM.

+1
    No gears on a PWC, all direct drive. Try reinstalling the jet pump and see if it is still locked up. You may have freed the bind when you disassembled the parts. If it still binds after reassembly, may need to check alignment.

+1
    Or the wear ring around the impeller is swollen and binding with the impeller when the jet pump is installed.

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Salt water machine, correct?

My guess is the wear ring in the pump base has swollen from corrosion underneath the SS liner, binding the ring with the impeller.

The Pro 1200 (and Pro 785) is unique in that the extension ring is behind the jet pump stator. On all other models with an extension the extension sits in front of the stator and surrounds the impeller, which is why many people just refer to the extension ring as 'the wear ring'.

On your machine the wear ring is also the base for the jet pump, bolted to the hull.

There are two types of these. On machines with no extension ring, and the Pro models, the pump base has a stainless steel liner. On models that have the impeller inside an extension ring often the pump base dies not have the SS liner, just smooth aluminum. Be sure to buy the SS lined version if you need to replace yours.

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll have to get an operators manual next.

K447, I got the machine from my daughter. it came from NC. so I don't know if it was in salt water. She and hubby bought it in 2009, then moved to Fl. Military and college got in the way and it has sat in her yard since then. (super stale gas)

There is some minor corrosion showing around some spots on the ski, but overall, it's very clean. pulled the carbs off yesterday (are they powder coated?) and wrestled with the fuel tank trying to get it out. never did, so I got out my electric pump and drained the tank.

On that subject, I tried to remove the fuel pump and after much wriggling and many swear words, was able to extract it almost all the way out. It felt like there is a lip or something on the bottom of the pump, as it would lock when it reached the end. I didn't want to force it out until I could ask someone who was familiar with them. No sense making extra work by breaking something else.

Today, I'm going to try to get some pics of this baby. Again, thanks for the info.
    Last edited by K447; 06-18-2014 at 07:36 AM.

pics of the ski

Looks like the grey devil fuel lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00472.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	333031   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00474.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	333032  

more pic's

the dash is in sad shape. wonder if a new lens is available.
    The shaft looks good, no rust or deep grooves and the blades seem to be ok.

Name:	DSC00465.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	333034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00470.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	333035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00471.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	333036  

pic

I guess I should have started with this one. Pro 1200

Name:	DSC00464.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	333037  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-doFuel pumps are attached to the carburetors, not inside the fuel tank.

The fuel tank has an aluminum tube fuel sender with a float inside. You may need to loosen the tank mounting and tilt the tank to get enough wiggle room to extract the sender.

In addition to connecting the fuel hoses it has an electrical signal for fuel level. Sometimes the float gets heavy and no longer floats (in gasoline), so the fuel gauge always reads empty. A replacement float is available from Polaris.

You want the fuel tank to be squeaky clean inside. If you can do that with the tank in the hull, great.

Since the gas has been in there for way too long, you should replace all the fuel hoses and rebuild the carburetors. Might also want to replace the fuel venting check valves, just in case.

Also replace the fuel selector valve. New replacement valves are available.

Recommended source for all the above is John Zigler.

I recommend Oetiker style stepless ear clamps for fuel hoses. Much more reliable than gear clamps, no chance of loosening under vibration and provides even clamping force without distorting the hose.

Tip: In addition to the Tech and FAQ Polaris forums, there is a collection of useful info to be found via my signature links.

butt end

Is that wear sleeve removable?
    The brown in the pics is the residual crap that has laid in there since 2009.

Name:	DSC00467.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	333038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00477.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	333039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00478.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	333040  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information