1997 SLT 700 Starts & runs, dies in the water.

My friend & I bought 2 1997 SLT 700s when new. They have less then 150 hours each. Both have similar mods (see my signature) Original ignitions (non updated). Mine runs fine. His starts & runs on the trailer. He can give it 1/2 throttle with the boat & trailer in the water but if he goes 3/4 to full throttle it sputters & dies. It will usually start right up again. He has rebuilt the carbs. Tested another set of carbs. We replaced the fuel switch, lines & filters. New battery. It passed the electrical ignition ohm test, but we have not yet done the hall effect test. Hate to spend $600 on an update kit unless we know it will fix the problem. Any suggestions?

The accelerator pumps appear to work normally.

Last year, we actually had people at 3 different stops ask us if they were new! LOL!

Thanks,
    Paul
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	332977

Banned User
    +1
    Id be willing to bet its an ignition problem.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, the hard way is to swap the ignitions between the machines. Keep swapping parts until you figure it out.

Start with the CDI, just because it is easier than swapping magneto stators.

Or just buy an ignition Update Kit and know the ignition system is good. In fact buy two, do the updates, look forward to more riding, less worries.

You might even be able to sell the still good old ignition system parts and partly cover the cost of the update kit.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Well, the hard way is to swap the ignitions between the machines. Keep swapping parts until you figure it out.

Start with the CDI, just because it is easier than swapping magneto stators.

Or just buy an ignition Update Kit and know the ignition system is good. In fact buy two, do the updates, look forward to more riding, less worries.

You might even be able to sell the still good old ignition system parts and partly cover the cost of the update kit.
    Yeah, I was considering all the above, but my friend is buying a full size jet boat & we are planning on selling these, so we were trying to do this on the cheap. It's much easier to sell 2 running skis. If it would fail just sitting on the trailer, it wouldn't be such a big deal, it only seems to have the problem in the water.

Banned User
    +1
    Oh come on. 2 skis are way more fun than a boat

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Oh come on. 2 skis are way more fun than a boat

Yeah, I know. I may buy his ski, but finances right now make expensive repairs difficult.

His wife has never really cared for the ski. He also has a large dog now which makes the ski problematic.

Thread Information