What to pay: 2004 Yamaha FX HO? Plus some other questions.

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out what would be a appropriate price to pay for a 2004 Yamaha FX High Output (no trailer).

It's just under 150 hours. I have not seen it in person yet, will try to see it tomorrow. The owner claims that he has done all of the maintenance himself, so he does not have any receipts or service records. He said he took very good care of it (looks good in pictures, but as we all know, pictures can be deceiving), but I do believe him from talking to him on the phone. He said he recently changed the oil and plugs. Washed and flushed after every use. I live in south florida, so I am assuming that every pwc has been used in salt water, no matter what the owners might say.

So my questions are:

What would you personally pay for it if its in good condition?

What do I need to inspect on it? Anything I need to look out for on this model?

This is my first time buying a waverunner/jet ski. I have never owned one in the past. I have ridden on a few rental VX110's, but never even looked at a FX, so this will be a first.

My goal is to buy a lower priced waverunner right now, ride it for a year or two, and then buy something newer after I have learned more about them.

Thank you for all your help in advance! I'm looking forward to joining you guys out on the water soon, and learning more about these machines!

In North Carolina I would not pay more than $3500 for it in perfect condition.
    Florida market may be different so keep doing your research.
    Good luck to you.

Miami, Fl
    Well, i believe you are doing the best thing is to go used and learn so then you dont destroy a 16k ski due to rookie mistakes. The fx models are fairly simple skis and basically bullet proof. Test ride the ski in the water15 minutes should be good. Go through the entire rpm band. If nothing beeps or sounds funny then its good.

FYI the mr1 engine makes a noise as it appears like the engine is about to come apart but if it test rides good then the ski is good to go.

Price wise hard to say since we dont even know what the ski looks likes but 4k should be the cap for a mint ski, 3k would be a good deal anything under its a steal. BTW i will be selling my 2003 very soon contact me if you have any questions.

I'm from Florida also, just sold my 2002 fx140 in awesome shape, with 136 on it on my shorelandr trailer for 2900. And purchased a 2008 yamaha fx cruiser with 32 in fresh water, and it's pristine, for 4300 ( no trailer ) in Jacksonville. Drove a little to get it, but it was worth it. So I would say anywhere from 3000 to 3500 would be more than fair for that 2004....

Thread Information