Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

01 Virage TX - Low Power - Melting Rsinator

I have a 2001 Polaris Virage TX and only get to take it out every other year or so when on vacation. It has roughly 120 hours on it. About six years ago the resonator on the left side melted. I found the problem to be a little ball in what I can only assume to be a check valve had gotten stuck. I was able to "unstick" the ball and made a bypass to replace the resonator using 2 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe. The ski ran fine for the next few years. Was a little louder but ran fine.

Two years we were on vacation and the ski ran fine until the last day. I was out riding full speed and then it suddenly lost some power and seemed to only be able to run at about 3/4 speed/power. I cleaned what I thought was the fuel filter, I believe it's actually the water/fuel separator, put some fuel treatment in it and took it back out. At this point it was still only running about 3/4 power, seemed to bog when gunning it at take off and struggles, takes a long time, to get on plane. I came home from vacation and put it in the garage.

About 2 weeks ago I took carburetor apart, rebuilt, cleaned, etc... Then I put new fuel in and took it out yesterday. Still only running about 3/4 power and struggles to get on plane. It doesn't to bog/choke anymore. I took it home and noticed that the bypass, mentioned above, appears to be misshapen like it has been getting too hot and basically both ends have morphed from perfect circles to more of an oval. This allows some water to squirt out inside the cavity. Would that be the cause of my loss of power? Why would it be getting so hot to reshape the plastic if water is actually making it to that point?

I also noticed this morning that the lower gray fuel line was disconnected. Not sure if I failed to reconnect it after working on the carb or not, but I am pretty sure it was not connected while I was riding/testing the ski yesterday. Would that be the cause of the my loss of power? Could it have vibrated free?

Need help pretty quick as I leave for vacation in 3 weeks and the vacation will not be nearly as fun if I don't my ski with me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If it struggles to get on plane then the engine is down on power a lot more than 1/4.

The device with the check ball inside may not be factory. Post photos of where it is located and what it is connected to.

I think your exhaust is overheating. The check ball device may be the cause, or the actual exhaust water injection orifice may be clogged.

The exhaust system needs to be 100% sealed. If any exhaust gases leak out into the engine compartment the engine will run poorly.

Check cylinder compression. Running the engine with incorrect/low fuel pressure can cause engine damage.

I will post pictures shortly.

I know it is a factory part. My father in-law was the original owner, kept it about 2 years and we bought it from him. Wouldn't water seeping out of the piping I installed to replace the resonator prove that water is getting through to cool?

You are probably right that it is losing more than 1/4 power, not sure how to really judge that. I can get up to 45mph (usually can hit 65 on smooth water and roughly 55 to 60 in choppy conditions), but like I said, it takes a good 30 seconds to get on plane.

I did notice that we failed to connect one of the fuel lines after rebuilding the carb. One of the gray hoses dumped quite a bit of fuel into the cavity of the ski. That was fun soaking all of that fuel up into paper towels.

My first thought was if it's not completely sealed then I would definitely be losing power. I will reconstruct my bypass and test as well. Just thought I would go ahead and do whatever is recommended while I have it open and before I test it again.

Below is a diagram. The part between the 12 and the 13 in the diagram below is the part that has the little ball and spring inside. It tends to get stuck occasionally. I believe it part # 12 which is called a Valve Check 3/8x3/8 with 3.5 PSI.

Here is a link to the part. Can I bypass this and just let the water run through freely?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Polaris...-/131167949775

+1
    I have a Polaris 1200 carb'ed out of a Virage TX ('00 or '01) in my Rio boat. I do not have that checkvalve in the exhaust water injector hose. Most definitely... if that sticks and prevents or limits water flow into the exhaust... you surely will have too hot of exhaust beyond the pipe in the waterbox and resonators. I can definitely see this melting a plastic resonator.

I'd ditch the checkvalve. Mine runs fine without it... and I've never seen a checkvalve on that hose before your attached diagram.

Attachment 305456

With so little use on the ski... use every other year or so... what do you do to it to "winterize" it... or rather prep it for long-term storage?

Cheers!

Removing the check valve today. Putting together another bypass for the resonator and testing tomorrow. Cross your fingers.

As far as winterizing...
    * get as much fuel out as possible.
    * put fuel stabilizer in.
    * very tiny drop of oil in spark plug area.
    * Keep it in an insulated garage.

The main challenge I have is remembering to put the battery on a trickle charger and getting annual registration. I always end up having to back pay for registration and buy a new battery. LOL

I am hoping that the seal being bad on the piping I added is why I lost so much power.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CKW View Post
    Here is a link to the part. Can I bypass this and just let the water run through freely?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Polaris-PWC-3-5-PSI-Check-Valve-Virage-TX-TXI-SLX-Triple-1200-7052303-/131167949775
    Learn something new every day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	333068

Polaris part 7052303 VALVE-CHECK,3/8X3/8 3.5PSI

2001 Pro 1200. Virage TX, SLX

Looks like a Jetworks valve, which restricts water flow into the exhaust system when the engine is idling. Allows water flow when engine is running at speed.

Dunno about other year Virage TX. Parts diagram for 2000 does not show the valve.

My guess is that you often run this machine at idle or low RPM for multiple minutes at a time. The Jetworks valve would prevent exhaust cooling in this situation.

I mainly see these on racing models where the rider knows to burp the throttle every minute or so to let some water into the exhaust system. The only purpose is to limit how much water accumulates in the water box, allowing more rapid acceleration from idle, such as during a race start.

I am surprised Polaris ever put these on a recreational three seat model! The excess water in the waterbox without the valve present gets blown out in a second or so when you squeeze the throttle.

14 7052290 FITTING-INJECTOR,EXHAUST .070
    The same size orifice water injector was used on both 2001 and 2002 Virage TX exhausts.

Banned User
    +1
    Those valves are known for having the rubber ball inside sticking and not opening. Polaris had a service bulletin on these to remove the spring and ball from the inside of the valve. You could switch the valve to a plastic ball also. The plastic balls don't stick.
    Last edited by K447; 06-18-2014 at 05:02 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Learn something new every day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	333068

Polaris part 7052303 VALVE-CHECK,3/8X3/8 3.5PSI

2001 Pro 1200. Virage TX, SLX

Looks like a Jetworks valve, which restricts water flow into the exhaust system when the engine is idling. Allows water flow when engine is running at speed.
    Yup. 2001 on those models. You wouldn't believe the nightmare Polaris has due to sticky balls. When people would bring them to their dealers with overheating/ melting issues, corporate Polaris' instructions were to pull the guts out of the JetWorks valve and reinstall.

+1
    Whoa. We posted at the same time. TRIPPY Dude !!!! Lololol....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information