Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

First time PWC'r - Bought '03 MSX 140 to start

Hi everyone, thought I would throw this out there and say that I am excited to hop on my 140 in the next few days. This is my first ski and am hoping to do some tours eventually around lakes and rivers. Any thoughts? Do I need to be worried about anything specific or know anything prior to doing so? Are these skis reliable for touring? I got the ski for a great deal I couldn't pass up. I got it from a dealer and there is not a scratch on it. If there is anything else I should know or if anyone has any input to share please do! I am in the process of looking through all of the other threads so some of the info I am seeking I may just have not come by yet in other threads. Thanks.

Banned User
    +1
    Probably the biggest thing with any of the Polaris DI motors is the fuel pressure regulator. They are located in the fuel pump assembly inside the fuel tank, and are known to fall off in the tank. Engine damage usually occurs when this happens. I just repaired this issue on my own MSX

+1
    Thanks I just put in a new fuel pump and just waiting for a new piston to come in so I can take it out. Pretty excited. Anything else you can tell me or pass on some of your knowledge? Like I said I am reading over a lot of the threads now.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalts72 View Post
    Thanks I just put in a new fuel pump and just waiting for a new piston to come in so I can take it out. Pretty excited. Anything else you can tell me or pass on some of your knowledge? Like I said I am reading over a lot of the threads now.
    Also read here.

+1
    Why do you need a single new piston?

What was the diagnostic for the problem cause?

Are you doing the piston repair yourself?

Which piston is being replaced?

+1
    The first of the 3 pistons needed a new piston because it a slight ticking noise. A family friend is a polaris dealer and mechanic who owns a shop right by me so he does all my work on at cost of parts and a case of beer. I took it out tonight for the very first time and loved it. It was on a small lake mind you, but I absolutely love the machine. The only con of it is the nose heavy part of it.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	333642Click image for larger version. 

Views:	43 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	333641Click image for larger version. 

Views:	42 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	333643Click image for larger version. 

Views:	46 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	333644Click image for larger version. 

Views:	42 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	333645

I've been out all weekend, here are a few pics!
    Last edited by K447; 06-23-2014 at 08:58 PM.

+1
    Intake grates.

Stock MSX 140 grate on top.
    R&D '650' intake grate on bottom.

Note that the bolt for the stock MSX intake grate has a different head than the bolt used with the aftermarket grates. Same tapered bolt was used on all Polaris intake grates prior to MSX, I believe.

Views:	23 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	333865

Tapered bolt for use with R&D intake grate.
    Metric M8 1.25 thread

The original Polaris tapered bolts have a Philips head screw but I think the hex driver head is a better choice.

Views:	28 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	333986

Views:	29 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	333987

Needed a place to post the pictures
    Last edited by K447; 06-26-2014 at 03:07 PM.

+1
    The attachment doesnt seem to be working, it says it is an invalid link. you can email it to me? [email protected].

These are the grates that will keepmy nose a bit higher? What all do i have to do to install it? or does it fit right, and I'm not sure what that all means with the bolt. I live in london, so maybe when i meet you for a ride I could pick it up? Or even if it doesnt take much time to put on I could met you a bit before the ride and throw it on.

Mike.

+1
    ... These are the grates that will keep my nose a bit higher?

What all do i have to do to install it? or does it fit right, and I'm not sure what that all means with the bolt.

I live in london, so maybe when i meet you for a ride I could pick it up? Or even if it doesn't take much time to put on I could met you a bit before the ride and throw it on.

Mike.
    Cause and effect.

The ride plate and jet pump trim nozzle (not present on a stock MSX) are the two primary factors affect hull attitude in the water, at speed. The 2004 MSX ride plate has a slightly steeper angle to the rise under the rearmost section of the ride plate, compared to the stock 2003 MSX ride plate. This steeper angle allows the rear of the ride plate (and therefore the rear of the hull) to settle deeper into the water, thereby raising the nose.

The intake grate affects how the hull responds in roughish water. The stock intake grate (black in the photo) is good for fairly smooth water and the multiple parallel 'blades' tend to minimize the amount of junk/debris that gets pulled through into the actual jet pump.

The R&D intake grates have a larger openings and provide a 'top loader' scoop effect, directing water upwards into the jet pump intake tunnel. That scoop effect helps the jet pump reconnect with the water as the hull comes back down after going up over a wave. Each time the jet pump intake grate rises out of the water all forward thrust from the jet pump goes away and the jet pump interior fills with air.

When the jet pump intake re-enters the water and purges the air out then the forward thrust resumes. The scoop grates reduce the momentary time delay before the thrust resumes after each wave, thereby improving rough water 'hook up'.

In rough water riding a scoop grate reduces the rider fatigue from the repeated thrust oscillations, provides higher possible travel speed and potentially a smoother ride by matching hull speed to wave spacing.

Changing the intake grate will not noticeably affect bow angle.

The intake grate is mounted with a single bolt at the front, and sealed with sealant around the rear where it slots into the ride plate. Changing a ride plate can take just minutes , once the old sealant is cut away. The problem is that fresh sealant must be applied and allowed to cure before the hull next goes into the water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information