Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Red face Polaris 1997 SLTX Charging problem

Hello again everyone. I've been looking around on the site again and can not seem to find what i'm looking for. I have a 1997 polaris sltx 1050 with a loPR code.

Check the charging system and doesn't seem to be charging stays at 12.6 volts all the time.
    Tested the yellow wire from the stator has battery voltage to it all the time.
    Also tested red purple wire has battery voltage.

Was wondering if anyone knew the stator specs so i could test it before i order the lr module. I know someone on the site has the information, because i've looked at it before but cannot find it now.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by K447; 06-28-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The info you need can be found via my signature links.

LoPR is shown when the MFD thinks the battery voltage is below about 10.9 volts. Sometimes the MFD gets out of calibration and reports LoPR when the voltage is not actually that low. There is a re-calibration method, but to do it properly requires a precise 14 volts power source.

If the battery voltage as measured using a digital multimeter (not the MFD display) is below 13.5 volts with engine running then the system is not charging the battery.

Engine off, it is normal to have full battery voltage on Yellow wire.

+1
    Does this cause the machine to go into limp mode?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KRR View Post
    Does this cause the machine to go into limp mode?
    Hmmm, I don't think the MFD LoPR warning would trigger limp mode.

The CDI ignition system itself does not work properly below about 10.6 volts

+1
    Oh ok, Whats wierd is this machine fires right up with no hesitation but will not rev over about 4160 rpms. And the loPr light is flashing. So i did test at the battery and realized it was not charging just stayed at a steady 12.6 volts. I'm looking at testing the stator now i do have power coming out of the yellow wire. And power at the lr module. But i had to replace the starter bendix due to it being rusty. So was wondering if the stator had gotten wet and ruined the charging side of things.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KRR View Post
    Oh ok, Whats wierd is this machine fires right up with no hesitation but will not rev over about 4160 rpms. And the loPr light is flashing.

So i did test at the battery and realized it was not charging just stayed at a steady 12.6 volts.

I'm looking at testing the stator now i do have power coming out of the yellow wire. And power at the lr module. But i had to replace the starter bendix due to it being rusty.

So was wondering if the stator had gotten wet and ruined the charging side of things.
    Unplug the MFD connector from behind the display. That will tell you if the MFD is affecting the engine.

Since you have battery power at the Yellow wire when engine is off, I expect the stator charging coil is OK. You can disconnect both stator charging wires and ohm check the coil. Should be infinite ohms to engine ground and just a couple of ohms through the coil. Stator wires Red/Purple and Yellow.

+1
    Thanks K447, I'm finally getting back on this thing. I did unplug the mfd and engine still misses like its in limp mode. i did replace the regulator and took care of the charging problem. If you play with it enough on the water sometimes it takes off most of the time it just misses. Thanks for all the help so far.

+1
    Now you need to figure out if the limited engine RPM and missing symptoms are electrical (ignition) or fuel (carburetors).

+1
    Per the manual the 1997 SLTX CDI receives its limp mode signal via a gray wire connected to the circuit board through a diode, also attached to the circuit board.

Perhaps removing the gray CDI wire from the board will indicate whether limp mode is being induced by a signal on the gray wire. If the mode goes away, perhaps the diode is faulty and needs replaced....
    Last edited by K447; 06-28-2014 at 09:44 AM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    it's been my understanding that the MFD signals limp mode conditions to the CDI, so unplugging the MFD is a quick and somewhat painless method of checking for faults . Especially in the circumstance where the MFD isn't operating at 100%.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information