Buying used 4 stroke?

I am looking to buy a used 4 stroke jet ski. So far I have looked at a 2006 yamaha fx ($4600) , 2003 honda aquatrax f12($3200)and a pair of Kawasakis for $6k, 2003stx12f and 2004 stx15f on double trailer. A local repair shop has a 2005 sea doo stx that he is putting a new motor in it right now and he said he will take $5500 for it. Any tips and advice on what to look for or stay away from would be great.

thanks,
    Bill Wilkinson
    knoxville, Tn

+1
    Avoid Honda like the plague. STX...mehhhh. Seadoo....mehhh. Yamaha will be most durable and reliable out of all listed. As a matter of fact, that ski is near bulletproof.

+1
    I would look for a Yamaha with a year or so left on the 5 year OEM extended warranty (it's called the Y.E.S. warranty). They can transfer this warranty into your name at any dealer for free. So you'll be looking at a 2009-2010 model. That way you wil save thousands over a new unit and still have a year's coverage and peace of mind.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I would look for a Yamaha with a year or so left on the 5 year OEM extended warranty (it's called the Y.E.S. warranty). They can transfer this warranty into your name at any dealer for free. So you'll be looking at a 2009-2010 model. That way you wil save thousands over a new unit and still have a year's coverage and peace of mind.
    Did you notice his estimated budget?

+1
    Just going off of the info you gave here....

Fisrt pick: 2006 yamaha fx ($4600)
    Second pick : Pair of Kawasakis for $6k, 2003 stx12f and 2004 stx15f

Do you really want/need 2 skis? If not get the 06 Yamaha

More info like hours and pictures would help us help you narrow it down more.

Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the pair of Kawasakis. They both have approx 150 hours and a nice trailer. I have 5 kids so that's why I am leaning toward the pair. I think I can get them for $5000.

+1
    Test ride them both. How's the condition inside engine bay? Are you in salt water or fresh? Make sure the displays work as they can be pricy to find replacements. The older ones have exhaust manifold issues where it rots at the water box coupler and the cooling line under the water box can get clogged and cause overheating. Better to get a good machine that a cheaper one that has a higher probability of failure.

I was just actually in the same situation as you. I was looking for a used 4 stroke for a few weeks. Look at some seadoo's, kawasakis, Hondas, and ended up finding an awesome deal on a 2008 yamaha fx cruiser. It's not the HO. But it's in awesome shape with just 32 hours in fresh water.

IMO. get the yamaha......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	333215
    Last edited by Jeff1229; 06-20-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Add pic

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Did you notice his estimated budget?
    No, I didn't see a budget mentioned.
    I just see various choices listed from $5K-$6K, and I'm just saying get one with a warranty. I have purchased six of these 4 strokes, (2 of them used) and I've seen the kind of costs that arise when they require a rebuild or major work. The parts alone cost a small fortune and with labor it can be more than the ski is worth. There is no way I would sink $5K-$6K on a used ski like that when you can probably get a Yamaha with a year or more left on the 5 year OEM extended warranty for not much more.

My neighbors asked me this question about a year ago; they wanted a 4 stroke, and were looking for used models. I told them about the VX series, and they bought two of them and they've been having a blast on them. You can get a 2014 Yamaha VX Deluxe 4 stroke for $7,500, so he should be able to find a used one near his price range with an extended warranty. That is my advice.

http://www.pwctrader.com/listing/201...luxe-112188230

+1
    Yoyama i agree with you in one way, if he can get a machine with some warranty on it then better. To me 1 year warranty is kinda pointless due to the simple fact that the riding season in most places is 3 to 4 months. After the ski sits for the rest of the year. So there goes your 1 year. Can something happen in the 3-4 months season that a warranty can save you some cash yes.

I rather have a clean fx with no warranty then a vx with 1 year. We all know yamahas as long as they are taken care of, you got no worries especially the mr1 motors which are known to be extremely reliable. The 1.8 skis fx's are still averaging 7500 with no warranty. I think the 06 fx is his best choice like others have stated.

To the OP the kawis are not bad skis but as mentioned above they have brought several issues which some times can cost you an arm an a leg. I believe the dash is 700 to 800 and to find one use is nearly next to impossible.

Thread Information