jet cone lubrication?

I opened the cone in the jet drive on my 97 780 slt noticed water came out. There looks to be a sealed bearing in there, is a lubricant of some sort suppose to be in here. Can't find anything in the manual but not sure if I'm missing it. If not is water suppose to get in here at all?

+1
    Check out the Polaris jet pump knowledge bank here: https://sites.google.com/site/polari...water/jet-pump

There should be no water in there. There are 2 bearings that spin the impeller stub shaft and 2 seals to keep the water out. The bearings are grease lubricated. Sounds like you need to rebuild your jet pump stator. If your bearings are still smooth spinning (no grit)... you might get away with just new seals and a regrease. See info link above.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. My seadoo takes oil on this piece.so when i crack the Allen bolts and seen water come out my brain said uh oh. The o ring must have failed. I turned the shaft it's seems nice and smooth. But I'll take the advice and rebuild anyway don't seem to difficult. Thanks again ripcuda

+1
    Some folks have removed the sealed side covers off the sealed bearings and used an oil/grease liquid slurry in their stators for lubrication... similar I'd imagine to using oil.

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Un-cowJ View Post
    Thanks for the info. My seadoo takes oil on this piece.so when i crack the Allen bolts and seen water come out my brain said uh oh.

The o ring must have failed. I turned the shaft it's seems nice and smooth. But I'll take the advice and rebuild anyway don't seem to difficult...
    Was there water actually inside the bearing area, or only trapped in the small cavities of the tail cone, outside the sealed zone..

If the rear bearing and shaft are rust free the perhaps the water was just splashed from the outer segments and the actual inner sealed zone was not leaking water.

All that said, rebuilding the jet pump is not expensive and then you will know it should last for a long time going forward.

The water was just inside the cone itself. Didn't take the bearing out, but the looks of it are nice.took a small pick to see if the seal rubber was pliable and soft and not dry rotted.and it seemed fairly .new

+1
    I fill my cone 3/4 full of grease. You need some space for the stub shaft or else the cone wont go on.

Thread Information