Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2003 MSX 140 Problem - I need help!

Hi Guys-

So I've been working on an Ski that I bought off craigslist. When we purchased it we knew it had a piston down. We went through the motor, replaced the piston and got it running. That is the good news...

The bad news is that it will not idle. I can take it out on the lake and it runs great as long as I give it anywhere from a tiny bit of gas to full throttle. As soon as I let off the throttle it kills, it doesn't spit and sputter, it just dies - almost like hitting the kill switch.

I live in Wisconsin and I can't find anyone in my area who knows much about these skis, so I'm coming to the Green Hulk for help. My best guess is some sort of electrical short or there isn't enough fuel pressure to keep it idling when I let off the gas, but what do I know, I'm a friggin amateur.

Please respond with any advice you may have. I appreciate any help I can get!

Banned User
    +1
    First of all where in wisconsin are you? I am in milwaukee.

Low fuel pressure would allow the motor to idle.

The first thing is the spark plugs. NGK PZFR6H are the only plugs that will work in this motor. Nothing else will work properly.

If you have the correct plugs the next suspect would probably be the TPS. Really the only test for this is to swap in a known good one.

It would be a good thing to check the fuel pressure. The regualtor is known to fall off in the tank. Low fuel pressure usually caused running issues at higher speeds rather than at idle.

I live in the Menomonie area, between Eau Claire and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I forgot to mention it in my first post, but we replaced the TPS as we had heard that was a common problem.

I'm not sure on the spark plugs, I will check those when I get home tonight. Hopefully, its that and it will be an easy fix.

My brother had mentioned reading about the regulator problem. When we looked at it we couldn't figure out how to get the tank out of the Ski to be able to fix it. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks for the quick response!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DMonie View Post

My brother had mentioned reading about the regulator problem. When we looked at it we couldn't figure out how to get the tank out of the Ski to be able to fix it. Any suggestions on that?

Fuel tank stays in the hull. You cut the foam out from one side so the tank can shift forward on an angle just enough to get the fuel pump out, or lift the steering gear up enough to clear the fuel pump.

Banned User
    +1
    If you remove the whole steering assembly you can lift the pump straight out. Its not that bad to do.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMonie View Post

Fuel tank stays in the hull. You cut the foam out from one side so the tank can shift forward on an angle just enough to get the fuel pump out, or lift the steering gear up enough to clear the fuel pump.
    There is no foam to cut out near the msx tank. You must be thinking of the virage. Just remove the steering assembly and the tank doesnt have to move.

7. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There is no foam to cut out near the msx tank...

Just remove the steering assembly and the tank doesn't have to move.
    I think it was Harris that suggested the foam removal as an alternate method to undoing the steering. The foam in question is the large piece that curves from the side into the nose, under the fire extinguisher.

I looked, and we don't have the right spark plugs in the ski. They are Iridium Power plugs, not NGK, I will start by tracking down the right plugs.

Thanks for the suggestions on the tank, we didn't think about those options. I will work on removing the steering assembly if the spark plugs don't do the trick.

I will continue to update you guys with progress!

+1
    I had my fuel pump just replaced in my 03 140, for the most part the steering assembly was lifted up/taken apart to get access to the fuel pump. Thats what i was told at least.

I'm not sure if this will help, but this is a video of the engine running and dying when I let off the gas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information