Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2007 Wake 215 intercooler question from a newbie...

So take me through this because I'm now, after being here for two weeks, afraid of superchargers, exhaust valves, flywheel bolts, intercoolers, misaligned carbon seals, and driveshafts. I'm slightly less afraid of starter solenoids, MPEM's, fuel injectors, check engine lights and wear rings.

Tell me, what exactly is the intercooler on my 2007 Wake 215 doing and how does it work? As far as I can tell the engine is pumping lake/ocean water from the jet through some radiator-type device located inside the intake manifold? For what? To make the air inside my intake manifold cooler? And this device is prone to leaking? And expensive aftermarket stuff can/should be bought and installed to avoid catastrophic failures due to this leaking? WTF? These machines are starting to make the 1982 Yugo seem reliable. Someone please give me the Cooling System 101 course on my specific machine.

[QUOTE=surfcitypops;2402427]So take me through this because I'm now, after being here for two weeks, afraid of superchargers, exhaust valves, flywheel bolts, intercoolers, misaligned carbon seals, and driveshafts. I'm slightly less afraid of starter solenoids, MPEM's, fuel injectors, check engine lights and wear rings.

Tell me, what exactly is the intercooler on my 2007 Wake 215 doing and how does it work? As far as I can tell the engine is pumping lake/ocean water from the jet through some radiator-type device located inside the intake manifold? For what? To make the air inside my intake manifold cooler? And this device is prone to leaking? And expensive aftermarket stuff can/should be bought and installed to avoid catastrophic failures due to this leaking? WTF? These machines are starting to make the 1982 Yugo seem reliable. Someone please give me the Cooling System 101 course on my specific machine.[/

ok, 30 second IC tour. Your ski has an "internal" intercooler. It is a small radiator element, for want of a better term, that sits inside your intake manifold. It is supplied with lake water, as is the exhaust on your ski as its cooling mechanism. Your engine and oil is cooled by the closed loop cooling, which has antifreeze in, just like a car system. Internal IC's have limited effectiveness when compared to an external IC. External IC's usually sit at the back end of the hull and have a much larger cooling core, better airflow and as a result give much lower charged air temps (which we all know is good for density / combustion).

Many internal IC riders change out to an external IC, it's very easy to do and gives impressive results for little cost.

does this help at all?

[QUOTE=tornado34;2402434]
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcitypops View Post
    So take me through this because I'm now, after being here for two weeks, afraid of superchargers, exhaust valves, flywheel bolts, intercoolers, misaligned carbon seals, and driveshafts. I'm slightly less afraid of starter solenoids, MPEM's, fuel injectors, check engine lights and wear rings.

Tell me, what exactly is the intercooler on my 2007 Wake 215 doing and how does it work? As far as I can tell the engine is pumping lake/ocean water from the jet through some radiator-type device located inside the intake manifold? For what? To make the air inside my intake manifold cooler? And this device is prone to leaking? And expensive aftermarket stuff can/should be bought and installed to avoid catastrophic failures due to this leaking? WTF? These machines are starting to make the 1982 Yugo seem reliable. Someone please give me the Cooling System 101 course on my specific machine.[/

ok, 30 second IC tour. Your ski has an "internal" intercooler. It is a small radiator element, for want of a better term, that sits inside your intake manifold. It is supplied with lake water, as is the exhaust on your ski as its cooling mechanism. Your engine and oil is cooled by the closed loop cooling, which has antifreeze in, just like a car system. Internal IC's have limited effectiveness when compared to an external IC. External IC's usually sit at the back end of the hull and have a much larger cooling core, better airflow and as a result give much lower charged air temps (which we all know is good for density / combustion).

Many internal IC riders change out to an external IC, it's very easy to do and gives impressive results for little cost.

does this help at all?
    Some. And thank you. My experience with intercoolers is in the automotive context in which the air entering the intake manifold is cooled by running said air through the "intercooler." This intercooler is cooled by air rushing at it as the car moves down the road. However, it seems in the PWC context, water is being run into a radiator inside the intake manifold for the purpose of cooling the air inside the manifold? If so, why do it this way? Is it because there's no airflow sufficient in a PWC to simply cool the supercharger's supplied air the same way cars do?

And answer me this, how does an external IC sitting at the back of the hull cool the charged air inside or heading to the intake manifold? I'm baffled.

Ok, so I think I may have my head around this. If an external intercooler is mounted at the back of the ski, you also need to plumb the air coming from the supercharger back to the intercooler and then back to the throttle body, correct? So a bunch of new hoses and pipes.

+1
    Ok, so I think I may have my head around this. If an external intercooler is mounted at the back of the ski, you also need to plumb the air coming from the supercharger back to the intercooler and then back to the throttle body, correct? So a bunch of new hoses and pipes.
    The air intake runs to the supercharger. The supercharger has an exit pipe leading to the intercooler inlet. The intercooler outlet has a pipe leading to the throttle body inlet. I hope this helps... Picture attached to show an external intercooler kit installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intercoolermounted.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	333123  

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    The air intake runs to the supercharger. The supercharger has an exit pipe leading to the intercooler inlet. The intercooler outlet has a pipe leading to the throttle body inlet. I hope this helps... Picture attached to show an external intercooler kit installed.
    It's all starting to make sense now. Thanks. If I spend another $3K on this $6K ski, I can work out all the kinks of the Seadoo design. New valves, new intercooler, new supercharger (and keep that train rolling every 100 hours) new flywheel bolts... Yippee!

Pardon the sarcasm. But some of these issues just seem to be the result of piss poor design that would never fly outside of recreational products. I need some peace of mind and all the chatter about one issue affecting this ski and not that one, this model year and not that one, has my head spinning. For that reason, I will post below my 2 skis and I would love for someone in the know to tell me what I have to think about with respect to each.

2006 Wake 155 - engine build date 03-06 - 40 hours
    Exhaust valves problems?
    Driveshaft problems?
    Flywheel bolt problems?
    Other issues to think about?

2007 Wake 215 SC - 30 hours
    New style valves so no worries there?
    Supercharger I know about - just rebuilt and arriving to me today
    Intercooler failures?
    Flywheel bolts?
    Driveshaft issues?
    Other issues to think about?

Welcome to the world of PWC & Seadoo!!! The core engine, Rotax 4tec is a very good engine if looked after, as for the bits around it that BRP design n manufacture, well, welcome to our world where cost bears no relevance to design or quality or customer experience.

All this said, we have it easy compared to the competition.

Once you get past noticing all the schoolboy design errors n flaws, accept that it's up to us to make it reliable and more robust, then it's fun. Don't get dragged down with it, we all know and agree but have turned a blind eye.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    Don't get dragged down with it, we all know and agree but have turned a blind eye.

Enjoy.
    Now that's what I'm talking about! F it. I complain, but deep down inside I'm at my happiest when I'm in the garage tinkering with this crap. Always been that way. I guess it's better than having to pay some other dunderhead to tinker with it for me and screw it up 'cause he doesn't really care about my stuff.

And what the hell is that thing you're riding? Looks like the Batmobile. lol

Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    Don't get dragged down with it, we all know and agree but have turned a blind eye.

Enjoy.
    Now that's what I'm talking about! F it. I complain, but deep down inside I'm at my happiest when I'm in the garage tinkering with this crap. Always been that way. I guess it's better than having to pay some other dunderhead to tinker with it for me and screw it up 'cause he doesn't really care about my stuff.

And what the hell is that thing you're riding? Looks like the Batmobile. lol
    Ha, Batmobile, love that!!

+1
    U don't have to worry about valves (only 04-05's),
    flywheel bolts (again 04-05's) ,& a handful of 11-12's
    or intercooler issues (08-11)External ones.

As far as driveshaft & carbon seal issues, they are a wear item, that needs adjustment, or replacement every so often, Just like the Superchargers do. Change your oil often, and things will last for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information