Question Yamaha VX Deluxe Fogging Interval w/ Salt Water Use

Hey there guys. I am a new Yamaha VX Deluxe owner. Ski is awesome me and my wife love it. Don't think we have a single thing to complain about. "Yet" lol.

I am trying to follow maintenance and everything as required in order to prolong any bad things from happening up front. We live in Florida on the East Coast and the ski is always used in salt water. Mostly brackish but it's still salty as hell. Occasionally some ocean runs. My real question is this.

How often should I be fogging with fogging oil? Is this something I should do Monthly, Weekly, Every time we ride? Etc. It does not really seem like too much water would be entering the intake, but with the humid air down here in Florida, maybe that is more of the concern.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. The fogging seems easy enough to do, even for a new user. I just want to ensure I have a great running ski for years to come. And there doesn't seem to be a lot of coverage in regards to this subject. Is the Yamalube fogging oil the best choice?

Thanks in advance for all the help

Bump? Anyone? Any thoughts on this? How often should I be doing this?

+1
    Are you talking about fogging the motor internally or inside the hull? I hose down the motor and inside of the hull after every ride. Every 2-3 rides I use stabil fogging oil and spray down the entire inside of the hull, the motor, exhaust, etc and wipe it all down with a rag. If you want to fog the motor just pull the breather tube and spray in it until the motor stalls. I do that every winter as part of the winterization process.

You dont need to fog the machine unless you plan on storing it for a while . that ski will run fine with oil changes and fresh spark plugs. You have a nice ski, unless you shop is giving you a good deal, do your 10 hr maintenance on your own. youll need an oil extractor.

The first thing i would buy recommend for your ski is the R&D reusable air filter. The stock paper one will go bad if it gets wet and really isn't that good from the factory. They will last a lifetime and depending on how much your ride youll probably only need to clean it once a year. one glug of Purple stuff, a little detergent and a bucket of hot water and swish it around for a few minuets. Wash with fresh water , wash it again, wash it one more time, and then give a few good shakes and let it dry completely in the sun. I do this once a month on my skis..makes a big difference on engine performance.

Consider removing your ribbon on the intake as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    You dont need to fog the machine unless you plan on storing it for a while . that ski will run fine with oil changes and fresh spark plugs. You have a nice ski, unless you shop is giving you a good deal, do your 10 hr maintenance on your own. youll need an oil extractor.

The first thing i would buy recommend for your ski is the R&D reusable air filter. The stock paper one will go bad if it gets wet and really isn't that good from the factory. They will last a lifetime and depending on how much your ride youll probably only need to clean it once a year. one glug of Purple stuff, a little detergent and a bucket of hot water and swish it around for a few minuets. Wash with fresh water , wash it again, wash it one more time, and then give a few good shakes and let it dry completely in the sun. I do this once a month on my skis..makes a big difference on engine performance.

Consider removing your ribbon on the intake as well.
    Thanks Tony. That's more or less exactly what I was asking. I was not referring to the inside of the hull but rather the inside of the engine through the intake port. I ride always in saltwater, so just wanted to double check and make sure that this was not something I should be doing more often. Dealer never really mentioned a thing about it, I just had noticed some people here on the forums saying that it should be done. The real question came of obviously "How Often"? if i really had to. So thanks maybe I won't worry about it as much then. Was just more worried about the condensation and how humid the air is down here in Florida.

As far as removing the ribbon. Did you find that it gave you a significant power increase by removing yours? Either out of the pocket, or top speed?
    Last edited by IIIEXOCETIII; 06-30-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Extra

Yeah the fogging is one of hte steps you do when you are winterizing or storing your ski. along with drain the fuel, empty the exhaust sytem and a few other simple things...

The fogging is a lube that helps from getting a stuck valve. I always try to make point to turn a sitting motor over every few weeks minimum. Since your ski is new you can just run it on the hose for 30 seconds if you dont use it once in a month. A battery tender, or a small solar panel is good to keep the batt topped off. Plus a bilge is pretty much a must. Look at this thread to see how i do it on my skis. i dont like a switch because that can cause a lot of other issue, simple is better.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...49#post2410349

edit: be sure that when you flush or the run the ski on the hose, you start the motor FIRST then slowly turn the water on, after 20 seconds, turn the water off, let the ski run another 5 and turn her off. Rinse the motor and leave the seat just off the latch to let it air out.

Thread Information