Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2014 VXR modification help

I just stepped up from an ultra 150 to a 204 vxr and i love the ski. I would like to get a bit more top speed and mid range out of it. The ski runs great but it feels like it may hit the rev limiter when you give it full throttle from a dead stop. It just feels like something is holding the ski back. I would like to avoid a remap that requires premium gas and intake mods that will allow water into the engine if it is submarined. What mods do you guys recommend for my situation?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1

+1
    While that thread has a lot of great info in it I think it would be nice to hear some fresh information on the VXR/VXS for those guys like myself that just got one. I know things can get repetitive on the forums but re-posting a 12+ page thread containing 2 year old information is no way to keep this platform improving and relevant though it is difficult to keep conversation going since it's not Yamaha's top shelf ski..

OP: I noticed that same cavitation off the line on my 2012 VXS. I installed the R&D grate and pump seal kit to help with hookup in choppy waters and to help alleviate the off-the-line cavitation. The grate greatly improved rough water hookup and over-all handling but the cavitation off the line seemed to get worse actually. I would hit the limiter 2-3 times before the ski takes off hard. I feel that this might be due to the stock prop pitch but I am not ready to swap props just yet. Instead, I am sealing up the pump shoe with some 5200 and machining the bolt holes on my R&D intake grate as they factory bolts do not sit flush like they should. If these changes help I will be sealing up the transom as well when I swap props in the future. I will let you know how things progress after I test it out this weekend.

Others will say the Riva SS grate has the best hookup and stops the caviation but it also sacrifices some top speed. I don't know how many actual tests this information is based on but it was enough to sway me to get the R&D grate. Now I am second guessing that decision.

As for gaining more speed you will see aftermarket filters and ribbon deletes for some more power. Other items include different prop pitches and ride plate setups. All things I have yet to try so I cannot personally comment on yet.

Good luck with the new ski!

4. +1 by:

+1
    Check out Bruces build. He had his running 74.2 at its fastest. He did countless hours of R&D on this platform. Thats about as current as you are going to get!

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173068

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSezz View Post
    While that thread has a lot of great info in it I think it would be nice to hear some fresh information on the VXR/VXS for those guys like myself that just got one. I know things can get repetitive on the forums but re-posting a 12+ page thread containing 2 year old information is no way to keep this platform improving and relevant though it is difficult to keep conversation going since it's not Yamaha's top shelf ski..

OP: I noticed that same cavitation off the line on my 2012 VXS. I installed the R&D grate and pump seal kit to help with hookup in choppy waters and to help alleviate the off-the-line cavitation. The grate greatly improved rough water hookup and over-all handling but the cavitation off the line seemed to get worse actually. I would hit the limiter 2-3 times before the ski takes off hard. I feel that this might be due to the stock prop pitch but I am not ready to swap props just yet. Instead, I am sealing up the pump shoe with some 5200 and machining the bolt holes on my R&D intake grate as they factory bolts do not sit flush like they should. If these changes help I will be sealing up the transom as well when I swap props in the future. I will let you know how things progress after I test it out this weekend.

Others will say the Riva SS grate has the best hookup and stops the caviation but it also sacrifices some top speed. I don't know how many actual tests this information is based on but it was enough to sway me to get the R&D grate. Now I am second guessing that decision.

As for gaining more speed you will see aftermarket filters and ribbon deletes for some more power. Other items include different prop pitches and ride plate setups. All things I have yet to try so I cannot personally comment on yet.

Ummmm..... Yeah..... That thread might have been started 2 years ago but the posts and information keep going to current day.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STUNNA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSezz View Post

Ummmm..... Yeah..... That thread might have been started 2 years ago but the posts and information keep going to current day.
    Right I realized that as well and made posts in it... But the last 10 pages seem more like the classified section rather than any technical information. My point was not to kill new threads by just redirecting someone to an old post. Sit down and type something for the guy.

That said Bruce's build thread has a lot of good information in it. I sat down and read through a lot of it but there is a lot to read though. Thanks for you help btw Bruce.

+1
    I've got two VXS'es that I've done tons of head to head modding and testing on, but I'm pro reflash. If you aren't interested in going that route, probably better suited following someone else's advice than mine. I set up both of mine up to hookup hard and accelerate fast so they can be faster in rough water, which means I give away a MPH or so on the top end in glass water for doing so.

I will say it is hard to get more performance out of these skis without putting more air into the engine.

+1
    your bone stock ski has cavitation on hole shot??

Quote Originally Posted by CougarKiller View Post
    your bone stock ski has cavitation on hole shot??
    It doesn't sound like cavitation it just feels like something is holding it back if you hit it from a dead stop. It feels much stronger to roll into the throttle. Since I ride on a lake I am happy with the stock rough water hookup. Are there any reflash maps that allow 87 octane?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    So you just want to be spoon fed info? Its all there , you keep an old thread moving so the infomation can be found easily instead of having to search 20 different threads to find the same repeative information.....

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information