Looong Term Storage ??--?SL 750

What's the best option for really long term storage ( 1 to 2 years ?

(1) Run out of gas

(2) Leave tanks full and lots of Fuel Stabilizer ??

I tried Search but came up empty !!!

+1
    Will it be stored in a dry(AZ) or wet climate(FL)? (i.e. where?)
    Will it be stored inside or outside?
    If inside, climate controlled?

Suggestions will vary based on how it'll be stored.

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Really long term storage, carburetor engine, you probably want to store it with the fuel tank dry. Not just empty, but cleaned out and dry.

Carburetors probably happiest if pumped with 2-stroke or fogging oil to displace the gasoline. This is very similar to how the old-school engine fogging kits work. Those had a bottle of engine fogging liquid and a plunger that pumped straight fogging oil into the fuel supply hoses to the carburetors. Then the engine was run until the remaining gas was used up and the carbs were full of fogging oil.

Remove and and sell the battery. Do not try to 'keep it alive' on a charger. Just not worth the effort.

If stored outside, you may want to remove the MFD display and store that indoors. Less weather driven degradation risk indoors.

Grease and lubricate all moving parts. Especially the steering and reverse cables, steering points, etc.

Clean and wax the hull exterior. Wash and flush out the hull interior as best you can. Let it air dry with seat off. Leave the drain plugs out and tip the nose of the trailer up as high as possible.

Thanks for the history on the fog oil. I thought i remembered seeing that. I went to partsland.com for a 96 SL 780...and there it was.

Now for some guidance, please. if I run the engine on the hose and use a large syringe (animal type) filled with 2 stroke oil could I gradually pump the oil until the engine quits and then guessing that all of the gas has been displaced by the oil ????

I realize it will be a fast and sloppy operation.

But seems possible. ???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dorf View Post
    Thanks for the history on the fog oil. I thought i remembered seeing that. I went to partsland.com for a 96 SL 780...and there it was.

Now for some guidance, please. if I run the engine on the hose and use a large syringe (animal type) filled with 2 stroke oil could I gradually pump the oil until the engine quits and then guessing that all of the gas has been displaced by the oil ????

I realize it will be a fast and sloppy operation.

But seems possible. ???
    The large syringe method should work. A couple PSI oil pressure would move it through. Excess oil will end up in the fuel return hose from the carbs going back towards the fuel tank, where it should cause no trouble.

Don't forget you also want to thoroughly fog the crankcase too. So as then engine runs towards the no more fuel point, you want to rev it up a few times and perhaps spray some aerosol fogging oil directly down the carb throats.

Probably going to require several sets of hands

At idle the engine uses fuel fairly slowly, so watch that you do not overheat the engine waiting for all the fuel to burn through. From cold you can run it without water cooling for circa 20-30 seconds, maybe a bit longer.

Fog the engine last, after everything else (storage preparation) has been done. There will be clouds of smoke.

Then remove the spark plugs, spray a hefty shot of oil down into each cylinder. Lay a cloth over the holes, bump the starter motor for just a second or two. Spray again, crank again.

Put the spark plugs back in finger tight. A tiny dab of anti seize on the spark plug threads would ensure easy future removal.

Leave the plug wires disconnected to remind you that there is oil in the cylinders and the spark plugs are not tight. Stick a note in a sealed Baggie with the to-do list for stuff you want to remember to do two years from now Leave the note in the hull or glove box.

Don't forget to tip the hull nose high on the trailer and firmly burp the engine several times to push excess water out of the exhaust system and water box. If you want it 100% dry in there then you will have to remove and manually drain the water box or use a shop vac down the waterbox hose openings.
    Last edited by K447; 06-21-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Got it...thanks for the info and reply
    from Arkansas...USA

Thread Information