Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry No Spark 2000 GS

I'm trying to figure out why I'm not getting any spark. Everything turns and sounds like it should but it just won't start. It's getting fuel and air. I checked the coil and it's getting 7-8 ohms. Is that what it should be reading? Is there any other way I can check the coil? Could it be my MPEM? Any help or info would be great!

+1
    Ignition Coil
    STATIC TEST: CONTINUITY
    Primary Winding
    1. Remove the 2 female spade connectors fromthe primary side of the ignition coil.
    2. With the meter set on the resistance scale,connect the meter leads to the primary termi-nals of the coil.
    3. Resistance should be approximately .3-.6 ohm.
    Secondary Winding
    1. With the ignition coil electrically isolated fromthe rest of the system, remove the spark plugcaps from the ends of the high tension leads.
    2. The meter function should be on resistance,connect the meter leads to the spark plug leadsof the MAG and PTO cylinders, and your resis-tance should be 12.71K ohms (10%).
    3. Lastly, check resistance of spark plug caps. In-stall a meter lead where the high tension wirenormally goes and the other meter lead wherethe spark plug connects. A reading of 4.5 to5.5K ohms is normal.

Ok so I replaced the coil and now I'm getting a spark. But I still can't get it to kick over and run. Any ideas on what I should try next?

+1
    Does the engine turn over? Is it a new to you ski? Has it been sitting a long time.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    teaspoon of gas down the jugs....

No it's not a new ski but it has been sitting for a few years. I tried the gas in plugs trick earlier with no luck

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    well if you are getting spark and injected some juice down there it's likely the rotary valve is screwed..getting ANY signs of combustion ( wisps of smoke etc?)

When cranking do you get any updraft from the carbs?( yeah, you gotta pull all that stuff off to see. )

kinda odd for this failure..unless there was water in the crankcases or perhaps something found it's way down there(throttle plate screws are one item I find now and then has trashed a rotary valve.

if the plugs aren't new, try some new ones..at times a plug that sparks in the open will snuff in a combustion chamber.

RV valve issues are seldom inexpensive to fix

Did you check compression by any means other then sound?

What do you mean by updraft? It does have new plugs that are gaped correctly. I did check the compression and both cylinders were at about 120.

+1
    compression is defaintly a step if you have not done it. are you getting a good spark? how are you testing the spark? starting fuild works even if compression is low somepeople dont like using it but it does work, where are you located.

Compression is about 120 on both cylinders. I tested it by seeing how far the spark arcs, and with a sparkplug wire tester that lights up if there's a spark. I tried using starting fluid but it didn't do anything. I'm located in Southern Maryland.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information