Thread: 97 gp damage

97 gp damage

Oil line popped off front cylinder. Thought engine completely seized do to no power. Turns out battery terminal melted from the strain of the starter I assume. Put new battery in and crossed my fingers. 60 psi on front, 120 on middle and rear which is better than I thought. Hoping to get some opinions. Front piston is nicked, some very light scratching on the sleeve. I've got pics. Wondering if I can just drop a new piston and rings and go or should I get a hone. Middle cylinder has a pretty deep scratch from who knows what or when, but still holding a strong 120. The middle scratch is measurable worse than the front scratches so what do you guys think? Rear cylinder is perfect. Also, can anyone give me a wash reading on the pistons? I'd like to know what I'm looking at/for for future reference. Thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	333234   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	333235   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	333236   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	333237   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	333238  

Starting from top left: front piston damage, top right front sleeve scratches, middle left, front cylinder, middle right, middle cylinder scratch, bottom pic rear cylinder and piston.

+1
    Well it doesn't look too bad really. Here's the advise I'd give. The right way to do it is to clean, measure, hone (or bore and hone, if the clearances, taper, out-of-round aren't gonna be right) and install a new piston.
    But I'd guess there is a good chance, that tossing a new piston in there would work fine and not give you much trouble. It may be worth a shot.
    Piston wash looks pretty minimal, but at least there is something there. A tad richer on the high speed screws will give you a little more wash.

Hopefully it just blasted the rings. I'm gonna tear down this week. Ordered a new piston and rings. I'm going to go ahead and buy a flex hone and clean it out. They don't cost much. Head was undamaged. The oil line I believe must have came off when I reinstalled the carbs. My fault for not double checking at the pump but fortunately I was only able to hit full throttle for a few seconds before it shut down. I'm hoping this kept the damage minimal. Worst case scenario I'm out $100 bucks and some time.

Thread Information