Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Sinking feeling?

My wife and I have been out on our GTI 130 like crazy since we got it. During one outing, the lake was pretty choppy and we stopped. Somehow the ski started leaning to the side pretty badly and was taking on water in the foot area which made it lean harder. The waves were coming over the side by then. We nearly fell off until I hit the gas which made the water rush off the back.

Last weekend my wife took my aunt out, who is a large woman (275ish). She came back to shore and quietly told me it felt like they were about to sink the whole time, every time they stopped or slowed the water rushed over the back since there was more weight than usual on the back. That experience has left her terrified of the jet ski. This is out first ski, I always check the bilge caps and ensure they're on tight before going out. I took the seat off after the last outing to make sure there wasn't a bunch of water in there, I only found a tad which came out after opening the bilge caps for the ride home, it was nothing I found alarming.

I assume all of this is normal but I told her i'd ask on this forum to see if you guys can tell me if this is a normal thing that happens on jet skis when two people are on it. We have never exceeded the weight limit, I'd say when its the two of us with our stuff we are around 475lbs total and the ski holds 600.

+1
    As long as there's really no water inside it's all normal to have the footwells fill with water and have water come up over the back deck area...especially with 2 people on it...let alone slightly heavier passengers.

Even given the weight of your aunt it shouldn't have a problem. It's a three seater. Are you rookies? Maybe you're just not accustomed to riding skis yet and the water into the footwells just freaked you.

Banned User
    +1
    2 people makes almost any hull feel unstable sitting still.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    As long as there's really no water inside it's all normal to have the footwells fill with water and have water come up over the back deck area...especially with 2 people on it...let alone slightly heavier passengers.
    I'd say there was less than 8-10 oz in there after a 2 hour ride when I looked. When I unscrew the caps a very small amount comes out while sitting and I'd imagine a little more while driving it home. It's a brand new ski, is that amount worrysome? Should I take it in?

To to reply to others, we are new and enjoyed the small amount of water that can over the back, it was a nice cool down. The large amount was jarring lol. I honestly feel like that's fine but it was enough to scare her badly, and she's not very timid so I thought I'd ask. Hopefully I can get her confidence back up quickly, she's already been brave enough to get out on it while she's going through chemo. She's almost done with treatment, maybe she will feel more confident when her strength is back.

+1
    Most of this sounds fairly normal. Leaning chances are just the two of you off balance and once a ski starts to lean its hard to correct without throttle. Through experience this problem will solve itself. Choppier water is the more unstable your going to feel.

With her aunt on and the weight towards the back its fairly easy to make water come up from the back.

Going forward to build her confidence I'd have her take it out a few times by herself(everything is always more stable with a single rider) and ride two up when it isn't choppy.

+1
    Always make sure your under power some with two on in choppy water , if you sit still or just idle in chop it can feel abit unstable

+1
    Be safe and add a bilge...
    Anything that floats should have an electric bilge.

You need to get used to your ski. Everything your describing is normal for any ski.

+1
    Thanks for the replies, I think she feels better about it. Hopefully we can go ride next weekend.

+1
    I sheered my flywheel bolts when i had a hooch on the back riding with me. She wasnt fat.......but her tits were! The added weight of the D cups did me in.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information