Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 GTX now power at full throttle

At the end of last season, one of my boys was riding this boat when he said it had no power. It seemed to idle fine and run okay around the marina at low speeds.

So this winter I removed the carbs, cleaned them and filters. Nothing looked that bad. Filters were not full of gunk. I also replaced all the fuel lines and cleaned the fuel valve.

Today i took the boat out and it won't get up on plane. Seems to have no power. Full throttle won't get it up.

Took ok it back home and I'm going to see what I can find.

Any suggestions what. To look for? It was running fine until it suddenly go afflicted by something. I'm going to start with the jet pump. Hoping it sucked something up.

Have you checked the.compression?

Haven't checked compression. However, whatever changed seemed to occur quickly. I wouldn't expect compression to be a sudden change. Or would it?

+1
    Ok, you say it has no power. Just to clarify. Is the engine running strong? Not reving up, or reving up but the ski has no get up and go?

It doesn't seem to rev up. Like it is starving for fuel, which is why I pulled the carbs for cleaning and replaced the gray fuel lines. Hard to tell exactly. It might me bogged down with something. I'm now leaning towards an issue with the jet pump. It would be great if I found something wt
    wrapped up I there holding the motor from revving up.

+1
    Yeah. That was where I was going. Look it over good because they would cause a sudden loss. Have you run it out of water yet? Does it bog?

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound007 View Post
    Yeah. That was where I was going. Look it over good because they would cause a sudden loss. Have you run it out of water yet? Does it bog?
    It runs fine out of water without load. So I'm going with something on the impeller or it's just not getting enough fuel under load.

+1
    I think your spot on. Let us know what you find.

So I pulled the jet pump which was a PITA because the previous owner gunked it all up with black silicone caulk.

It is very tight to turn. Strangely, it wasn't that tight at first. I hosed it off a bit to work on it and it became tighter. My other Seadoo pump turns freely. Not this one, so I assume this is what's bogging the motor down. So I pulled the oil cap off and it smelled horrible, like propane. My son came running out of the house believing there was a gas leak because the windows are open and the smell came into the house. I'm assuming this is a sign of burned oil or something and not good.

So next up is to look at the bearings I guess. Not sure how to start. I'll do some searching here on how to replace jet pump bearings. Or I wonder if it's easier to just replace the entire pump from an Ebay parted boat.

+1
    Where is the fun in just bolting on a replacement? I would research what the rebuild will take. Bet you end up cheaper with a better unit. Plus you learn for next time. Glad you tracked down the issue though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information