Help with split water cooling

So I took it out my split waterways for some testing....

I split my water ways so I could get a cleaner , better flow of water to my IC. The IC just outlets the water out the back.

I got a high temp warning after opening it up for about 10 seconds. So I took it to the side and plugged my split to the IC. I was able to ride around with no high temp. I did two passes at 69 with my IC not getting any water so it had to be something with the water being split.

I know the stock water brings in the water at about 50-60psi.

Anyone know what psi comes through with the water removed ?

I'm thinking of using washers at the y splitter so basically I would have an all open flow to the y splitter and then 50-60 psi to each split.

I'm going to use my psi max gauges to test...

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen some crazy psi coming without a washer because I don't want to blow my y-splitter off.

I know PR saw some high psi when testing his second water connection coming off the pump but I can't remember what the psi was.

I'm thinking of using 3/4 200psi hose to a brass y splitter and then the standard off the y.

Please give me some input. My sister is coming in on the 9th from Hawaii and I'm thinking of taking her for a cruise one of the weekens after that down at Tims Ford.

I'm going to home depot right now to get a wide open washer to replace the stock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	split water.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	20254  

Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle View Post

I know PR saw some high psi when testing his second water connection coming off the pump but I can't remember what the psi was.
    kinch, with the fitting fully open it was in excess of 60-65 psi.
    I put a 9mm orfice tube in the fitting at the opas port to achieve 57-60 max at 8100.

the major difference I noticed when installing the orfice tube was the lower psi at lower rpm. the orfic tube affected the whole rpm band which was what I was looking for...PR...

I still think you should go with the totally seperate system...

PR, are you saying that you had to restrict the flow coming off of the pump nozzle where the OPAS water supply connects to get it down to 57-60 psi? Did you then go out the hull with the water after it went through the IC?

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    PR, are you saying that you had to restrict the flow coming off of the pump nozzle where the OPAS water supply connects to get it down to 57-60 psi? Did you then go out the hull with the water after it went through the IC?
    Yes, I inserted a tube/orfice with a 9mm ID to change flow and pressure characteristics, and then the exit water went to the stock bilge pump barb in the pump support.
    The most noticeable differences were the lower pressure readings at lower RPM`s, like water flow at idle but not enough to pressurize to 2#`s. as you increase RPM`s the pressure rise was more linear, ie: 2000 R`s 10#`s, 3000 R`s +-20#`s, cruising Rpm`s were more of a concern bc that`s where I spend most of my riding for miles on end, so I didn`t want to over pressure the IC core. 5000 R`s was around 35-40#`s, I can`t remember the numbers exactly, might have to go back and look at some of the old posts, but with the restricter also the max RPM`s I was seeing 55-57 @ 7900-8000 with an occasional rise to 60.
    I had called Vortech marine division and they told me that the cores were good for 70psi...

I believe there are many variables and combos that can effect the pressure, prop size, higher than stock RPM`s, hose routing, fittings used, how many bends or 90 degree fittings are installed in the system etc...

so my advice is anyone doing this should atleast pressure test their own set-up and make the neccessary adjustments...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-11-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Second test.

I'm going to use a 1/2 Stainless steel washer I got at home depot. Matches up perfect with the stock washer and looks a little over twice the water coming in from the hole.

I'm using these on my IC. The 1/2 to 3/4 version. Should provide full flow at the only 90 bends I have.
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

I'm using a host splitter after the stock inlet. This is an example but I got mine at ace hardware. I used a brass coupler and then npt to 3/4 hose connectors
    http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTP...ogle&kw=GIM-13

The reason I'm using this is it gives me the ability to shut off the port for towing and the ability to shut off the IC line just in case the inline strainer breaks (worst case). The main reason is the holes inside the splitter that they used for the ball joint (close off the water) look to be the same exact size as the inside of the stock inlet water washer.

So I should be letting in twice the water and using the stock washer hole size at both splits. The outlet water on the ic goes out the same way PR has, which is going out the stock bilge connector(have to drill a hole in it) that leaves the back pump area of the ski.

I'm going to put my max psi tester between the stock inlet and y. So I can see the max pressure of the 1/2 washer. Then I'm going to put one between the IC and Y and the exhaust manifold and Y.

I'd like to see around 50 at max. and 30-40 at cruising like PR is seeing.

sweet!, I`m interested in your pressure readings ...PR...

PR, I remembered your splitting the cooling water but didn't remember how you did it. I'm doing the same thing right now but at the point of making the pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    PR, I remembered your splitting the cooling water but didn't remember how you did it. I'm doing the same thing right now but at the point of making the pieces...
    I wanted an easy way to disconnect the hoses other than using hose/hose clamp method. so finding a way into the hull was the first process: here`s what I did using -10AN bulkhead fittings and twist tite hose:
    ...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-11-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    sweet!, I`m interested in your pressure readings ...PR...

So I put a hose splitter on it and used a 1/2 washer on the inlet which looked to be almost all the way open.

I put a psi pressure with max display on exhause manifold route. My IC route I didn't put one on (didn't have the host fitting for it). It should by theory be the same pressure though.

Everything ran ok. I rode for about an hour at WOT with no high temp alarms.

Pressure was at 40psi at WOT. Around cruising(5-6k) it was 20psi. When I disabled the route going to the IC it was running at 50psi at WOT and 25psi Cruising.

At the end of the day somehow my rpms blipped to 7500
    I'm not sure if my IC was getting hot or what....
    The connection to the IC was pretty cold and the outgoing air tubes where pretty cold....

My air hoses seemed to be ok and my SC was still whinning(I have metal washers though).

Test 3 I'm going switch the hose splitter which has narrow passage ways for water to my 3/4 Y splitter which has the standard opening when connecting hoses.

Then I'm going to put pressure guages on both the IC and manifold.

I think this can be done with the stock inlet split and using the stock bilge outlet for the IC.

Thread Information