Belt & braces bilge management

After reading and seeing the damage a flooded hull can inflict, I though I would share my bilge pump configuration.

My stock OEM bailers deal with the normal everyday riding water ingress. If the level in the hull gets beyond "normal" my automatic bilge pumps kick in. These are self priming smart sensor (no float) pumps rated at 650gph each. They are wired on two completely independent fused circuits, through an ON/OFF/AUTO switch. They exit the hull through separate hosework and Blowsion non-return through hulls.

If for any reason the pumps don't kick in or they are becoming overwhelmed, I have found and installed a water level alarm. I found it in the hardware store and it's intended for use in the basement at home to warn if a water leak develops. It uses a small two pin sensor. When water closes the circuit it sounds a 110dB alarm.

Not sure how long the sensor will last under the conditions in the hull, but at 30$ all in, I'll change it every season. The alarm box with the 9v PP3 battery is small and fits nicely in the glove box where I put it in an otter waterproof pouch.

There was enough wire on the sensor to place it around the engine mount leg.

I'll update how it goes, but feeling quietly confident I'll get a good heads up warning of trouble giving me more time to plan my back to shore / engine protection strategy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	333311  

Thread Information