Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why I just Bought a 2014 FX SVHO

After researching everything I could, I've concluded the FX SVHO is the best 3 seater for me. Here's how I decided, including the pros and cons and references for my conclusions. This is mostly for me to justify my own purchase but hopefully someone might gain something from it.

I was also considering the RXT-X 260.

Usage: I will be using this for touring around local lakes, rivers and the odd trip going from Vancouver to Victoria. I do not intend on pulling anyone behind it and will be just me riding it most of the time. That's why I didn't go with the "Cruiser" seat, not to mention saving $700.

Points for the FX:
    - SVHO Engine and Pump. Best-In-Class Acceleration, Forged Pistons, 1.8L vs 1.5L. Centrifugal supercharger reduces engine stress at low RPM/launches compared to screw-type positive displacement of SeaDoo.
    - Aftermarket support. Seems like a tune and a couple things can make this boat a monster.
    - Less Scheduled Maintenance (compared to SeaDoo).
    - Reliability, brand loyalty. I have a Yamaha Dirtbike and ATV. Yamaha is known for its reliability and have proven to be as such in my own experience. This is subjective to me.
    - Uniqueness. I will probably be the only one on the lake with this model. Everyone up here has a SeaDoo.
    - Lightweight re-designed hull. Is a bit heavier ski than the RXT-X but has had good reviews. Very stable at top speed.
    - More storage. 125L vs. 50L on RXT-X
    - Looks badass (personal opinion)

Against:
    - More expensive than SeaDoo (in my area). I think the performance justifies the price increase.
    - Less warranty (I got them to throw in an extra year). More reliable and easier to maintain so I didn't consider this a major factor.
    - Heavier by about 60 lbs. Doesn't seem to affect fuel consumption or performance that much. (6mpg @ 38mph) http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=3113
    - No iControl so I probably won't let anyone else drive it haha

References:
    www.personalwatercraft.com
    www.jetskimagazine.com
    www.boattest.com
    www.boatingworldmagazine.com
    www.yamaha-motor.ca
    www.youtube.com

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their experiences. I will be sure to do the same!

+1
    Congrats on the new ski, post some pictures and Video. Research is the best thing you can do before buying a ski. A lot of us get excited about buying a new ski and dont focus much on what we look for in a ski. Lot of folks make the mistake and its an expensive one.

I have bought 3 used skis and have been very happy with my purchase. Lately i have been considering buying a new ski and I believe the fx svho is gonna be the one.

Thanks. I should have it in a few days. Will definitely post some pics and my impression.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
    Points for the FX:
    - Centrifugal supercharger reduces engine stress at low RPM/launches compared to screw-type positive displacement of SeaDoo.
    Seadoo runs centrifugal as well. Kawis run Posi.
    "Hope that wasn't your deciding factor."

+1
    hope the hull paint doesnt flake off

Quote Originally Posted by sn-95 View Post
    Points for the FX:
    - Centrifugal supercharger reduces engine stress at low RPM/launches compared to screw-type positive displacement of SeaDoo.
    Seadoo runs centrifugal as well. Kawis run Posi.
    "Hope that wasn't your deciding factor."
    Haha owned. You're right my bad! No it wasn't my decider but thanks for the correction.

OK 10 hr Update:

-Paint on bottom of the hull is coming off. Sad but not surprised. I knew about this beforehand and just rolled the dice. Got the ski at the dealer now getting the 10hr service and they are going to document the paint issue so I will get it fixed in the off-season.

Overall Impressions:
    -Very happy with performance, stability, economy (when cruising), comfort, storage etc.

-Acceleration is thrilling after 5k RPM, which made the break-in for 1.6hr under 5k a torturous exercise.

-The cruise function is hard to activate on anything but smooth water so I hope you have a sense of humour. Should have put the button somewhere else, maybe on the left hand side.

-The hull is awesome over 2-3' chop. Just rips right over the top if you hit it straight on. Very stable and confidence-inspiring.

-The reverse is getting easier to use and I'm pretty confident with it now. Neutral is nice (when I remember to use it).

-Seat is good for flat water but it could use more padding. Also my calves always rub the sides of the seat and get sore when going over rough water and standing up.

Well that's all my thoughts for now. Overall happy with my purchase.

Take care.

+1
    Just picked up my SVHO Cruiser yesterday. I hope the paint does not flake but will get it dealt with under warranty if it does. I cannot wait to get this out on the water this weekend.

Steve

OK 10 hr Update:
    -Seat is good for flat water but it could use more padding. Also my calves always rub the sides of the seat and get sore when going over rough water and standing up.
    This is the single thing that's been making me cautious of getting a FX HO or even a VXR, the really wide seat as I like to ride standing up, I'm not the widest person Do you think it's viable for riding standing up for an hour+ ?

The SeaDoos seems much better in this regard, the reliability stigma puts me off though…

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nefilim View Post
    OK 10 hr Update:
    This is the single thing that's been making me cautious of getting a FX HO or even a VXR, the really wide seat as I like to ride standing up, I'm not the widest person Do you think it's viable for riding standing up for an hour+ ?

The SeaDoos seems much better in this regard, the reliability stigma puts me off though
    as it should... ive owned two seadoos.. both have had numerous problems and there have been many, many complaints about brand new skis having to go into the shop for weeks upon weeks.. i dont see a point in owning a machine because it looks better then it performs..

i would rather deal with paint flaking off the bottom of the ski and having to send it in for a service AFTER the season is over, rather then ride a ski for a couple hours and then drop it off for a couple weeks for repair..

i mostly ride standing up with my fzr and have no complaints, it is a little different at first but i feel that if you stick your feet alittle further back on the ski while standing, there is no problem.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information