Question Problems tightening flywheel nut

Im trying to tighten the flywheel nut on my 94 sl650. I put a screwdriver between the bendix and flywheel and started tightening it. But I noticed that instead of tightening down, the whole driveshaft spins. And when I try starting it the flywheel is engaged but it's not spinning the drive shaft. I thought it was because the nut wasn't tightened down all the way but just wanted to see if it could be something else. And also how I can tighten down the flywheel without the driveshaft spinning

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There is a woodruff key that must be in place on the crank snout to align the flywheel. Be sure it is in place and use a genuine Polaris key, not a soft metal generic woodruff key from a hardware store.

Look up how to use the 'rope trick' to prevent the engine from turning while you tighten the flywheel nut. You also need Red Loctite smeared onto the shaft taper zone to help hold the flywheel in place when the engine is running.

The crankshaft taper must be clean and free of burrs or roughness. The flywheel must seat properly on the taper with Loctite, then the washer and nut are snugged down. Note the torque specification for the flywheel nut.

What is the difference between the ones you get from an auto parts store and a polaris one? Has there been people who have had a problem using generic ones or is it just suggested you use genuine polaris parts? Just curious since it would take 3 days if I ordered one compared to 15 minutes to grab one at the autoparts store

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dellen10 View Post
    What is the difference between the ones you get from an auto parts store and a polaris one? Has there been people who have had a problem using generic ones or is it just suggested you use genuine polaris parts? Just curious since it would take 3 days if I ordered one compared to 15 minutes to grab one at the autoparts store
    The Polaris woodruff key is strong steel.

Often the generic woodruff keys are intended for lawnmowers (or similar) and is made from much softer metal.

What happened to the original part?

It was sheared in half!

Thread Information