Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Problems with my new to me gp1200

Whats up guys, i had bought a 00 yamaha gp1200 over the winter. 65.9 hours. Had all 3 carbs rebuilt by a friend of mine who is a yamaha master tech. She starts up great on the hose, runs fine, idles ok a little choppy but from my understanding thats how these 1200s are. I dumped it in the water today for the first time, she fired and stalled and refused to start back up. I have no idea where to look, I am mechanically inclined just not sure where to begin on PWC's. I took her home and she hesitated then fired up on the hose and ran good! I'm wondering if my Brand new Walmart Battery isn't giving enough to get her running under the load in the bay. Compression was 120 + across the board.
    its not easy loading up a dead ski to a trailer!
    thanks guys!

Do you have Primer kit installed? They are notoriously hard to start. Before I installed a primer, I'd put it in the water and it would fire and run for a few seconds then die. It would take till the battery was almost dead to finally get it to start. Need a little more info to really tell what's going on. What's your rpms at idle on the hose? How long did it sit before you put it in the water? I'm leaning towards it just being the typical hard start issue with those skis, but more info would be helpful.

Did you make sure the fuel was on? Gotta ask.

Fuel was on! Yes it has a primer installed and i primed it about 3 times to start then a few more once it stalled and would not go. It had been running no more then 1 hour prior to water testing! it idles at about 1200-1000 rpm when it hits 1000 i throw a little gas into it. If i let it go it will hit 900 and spike up

Sat there for 10-15 minutes trying to get her to turn over in the water. Nothing! 20 minutes later i got home and she fired up after a slight slight hesitation!

Idle may be a little low for the load placed on the engine while it's in the water. Would it start in the water when you primed it? It may run perfect on the hose but once you put it in the water and put a load on the engine all kinds of different bugs can show up. 900 is low. 1300 is about where you want it. May need a slight tuning adjustment on the carbs as well. There's several threads on here about tuning carbs, I've been through the same issue. Run great on the hose only to put it in the water to have it run like crap. Do you know what he set the highs and lows to when the carbs were rebuilt? Is this a gp1200, or the gp1200r with the power valves?

I have a question because now that i look back on it i notice i had 1 fault that i missed. I left my Hose Cap off when i put it in the water, i forgot to screw it on before i went in the water. I am wondering if this didn't allow enough pressure to build and it wouldnt run

No, I always forget to put mine back on. Never an issue for me. Did you ever get to ride the ski or did you buy it not running? Then if it's a 1200r, that's a different animal from the gp1200.

lol ok, to be honest i never ran it, i bought it with bogging issues had two marine mechanics look at it and inspect, they noticed it was a gp1200 not an 800 as the stickers said. Carbs had to be rebuilt and they were. How can i tell if its a gp1200r

Another question. When you're running it on the hose, are you starting the ski, then turning the water on, then turning water off before you turn off the ski?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information