need help with fx1 carb, 44sbn. start to rev when idling.

I have a 94 fx1 that has been sitting for about 15 years or more. it is in good condition, I have checked the compression, and replaced fuel, and rebuild the carb. I also dropped a bolt in the fuel chamber (reed cage) took the top off and got it out.(did not replaced gasket (it looked fine). anyway got it to start, but when idling it starts to rev all of a sudden and will not shut unless I choke the engine. then I can start it again will accelerate normal, and when I let it idle it will do it all over again. not sure if my problem is the carb or if its a airleak somewhere. (engine is completely stock in like new cond. never taken apart). unknown hours on ski.(looks like 10 or less to me).

Lean runaway. What kind of rebuild kit did you use? Did you replace the carb base gasket? Eliminate the possibilities at the carb then look elsewhere. Could have a split line somewhere after sitting for that long? How do the fuel lines feel? Soft or stiff?

didn't replace the base gasket, used mikuni carb kit. fuel lines feel soft I will check all connections with fuel lines, Lean runaway means it getting air from somekind of air leak in carb? or gas leak in carb?

It's an air leak. Not necessarily in the carb but that's where I would start. How did the base gasket look? Not sure if that ski has a pulse line on the carb but I would assume it does. Check it for cracks. Work backwards from what you've done.

it does have a pulse line, I will check all hose connections, base gasket appears to be complete ive seen worse ones that work, I will use a little gasket seal on it.

dont rule out crank seals

Thread Information