Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Seadoo brand cover staining seat black

Have a 2007 RTX and I take real good care of it. Waxing, vinyl protectant on the seat and I thought I was doing it a favor by leaving the Seadoo cover on to keep the sun from beating down on the seat and paint.

Over time I noticed the red of the seat taking on a black color and couldn't figure out why, It wasn't too bad, but it was there and getting worse. Then this last trip we went to Tahoe and when we got back 3 weeks ago I covered the ski as usual, but hadn't cleaned and conditioned the vinyl first. Just took the cover off today and I could see on the white section of the seat where my fingers must had left oil where I had grabbed the seat to unlatch it. The seat was stained black.

I tried vinyl cleaner, isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol and paint thinner....none of these removed the black. I'm afraid the seat will have to be recovered if I can't get this black out.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

The cover is holding moisture in and mold is growing under the seat cover. I recommend that at the end of your season, If you have one in SJ, CA., you remove the cover from the seat and let it dry during off season.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the black marks are mold then try using bleach (carefully, as it will eat into your clothes). Wear gloves and old clothes and scrub gently. Do not breathe in the bleach fumes. Rinse thoroughly afterwards.

Sometimes the Magic Eraser product actually works. Still toxic, but less crazy than using bleach.

+1
    I'll try bleach....got nothing to loose at this point. Normally mold begins in the crevasses and this staining is directly where the cover is in contact with the seat, but I'll give it a try!

I have a pool so my clothes are always getting splashed with liquid chlorine. I'll dilute to 25% and try that first. If it's mold, bleach will have an impact on the staining for sure. Thanks for the idea!

+1
    Well the bleach didn't effect it. Not even a little....so I got out a can of MEK substitute. It is some nasty stuff that will most likely take paint off a battleship.... nothing on the white part of the seat, but helped some on the red rear seat.

I'm pretty sure the black from the ski cover transferred onto the seat. You can see the finger impressions on the seat. The red has been getting blacker over the past couple years. Never had any marks on the white before taking the cover off after only 3 weeks being covered.

I hate to say this my friend but you're screwed. It's mold and that stuff stays around like the memory of a psycho ex girl friend. When the season's over strip the cover off and let it dry out. I THINK this may work but I don't know. Then get a new cover. I had the entire seat on my 2010 RXTX replaced under warranty because it had the red mold spots. And it's' starting again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crueldude View Post
    I hate to say this my friend but you're screwed. It's mold and that stuff stays around like the memory of a psycho ex girl friend. When the season's over strip the cover off and let it dry out. I THINK this may work but I don't know. Then get a new cover. I had the entire seat on my 2010 RXTX replaced under warranty because it had the red mold spots. And it's' starting again.

Did dealer give you a hard time on seat cover replacement? I have red/pink mold spots on white part of my 2011 rxt

+1
    After I seen what a cover did to my brothers brand new (at the time) 2010 wake 155's seat and steering pad I will never use or recommend a cover...period.

Quote Originally Posted by BEECHFRONT View Post

Did dealer give you a hard time on seat cover replacement? I have red/pink mold spots on white part of my 2011 rxt
    I went straight to BRP on their Sea Doo Facebook page. The dealer called me and said BRP contacted them and said that my seat was on the way. I convinced BRP that mold on a PWC seat in a wet environment is not very healthy for my wife and I to sit on.

Quote Originally Posted by BEECHFRONT View Post

I went right to Sea Doo on their Facebook page. Dealer called me and said BRP contacted them and seat was on the way. I convinced Sea Doo by explaining that a seat with mold on it in a wet environment is not healthy for my wife and I to sit on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information