Thread: Synthetic Oil

Synthetic Oil

I am thinking of switching over to Pennzoil full synthetic oil. Should all of the original oil be drained, or can the two oils be mixed. I am running this in a STX-R, so what I am most worried about is the crankcase reservoirs.

+1
    Mixing oil in a 4-stroke can possibly pose problems because the oil is constantly recirculated and subjected to heat and combustion byproducts. In a 2-stroke, it only goes through once, and it gets burned. The only place for it to gel would be in the reservoir (and balance shaft bearings). I've never had a problem when changing oils, but if you're concerned, try mixing some of the two oils in a container and let it sit for a few days to see if anything happens. I really don't think you'll have any problems at all.

+1
    I dump in all kinds of oil into my Yamaha, all good brands from mineral, to semis, to full syn. I run it at 7000rpms all day and have yet to have a problem. It wouldn't worry me but if you want to be sure call Pennzoil up! 800-237-8647 option 4 then option 2. That is for tech questions. They have an email on the site as well.

My engine is a fresh rebuild, still doing the break-in phase. I think when my oil tank gets empty that I will go ahead and switch over to the synthetic. Right now I have a 50:1 mix of synthetic in the gas tank. I know that this is going to burn right off, but I'm not sure how the shaft bearing reservoirs use up their oil. I'm guessing that it gets slung throughout the case and gets burned off also, but not sure how quickly it depletes itself?

Pennzoil Full Synthetic Great Oil!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee817299 View Post
    I know that this is going to burn right off, but I'm not sure how the shaft bearing reservoirs use up their oil. I'm guessing that it gets slung throughout the case and gets burned off also, but not sure how quickly it depletes itself?
    In the service manual, it will tell how much oil goes to the balancer shaft bearings, so you can calculate how long it takes. I don't remember, but I think about 1/4 of the oil for those cylinders goes through there.

I have the 2 oils sitting in a jar for a couple days now and nothing looks out of the ordinary. They just mixed. Should be no problem.

Also, anyone know where to get a handle bar crossbar? I looked around Riva's site and looks like they no longer list them?

Thread Information