Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Engine & pump alignment 2.0 (models 2010 / 2011)

Ok was planning to post a thread how nice everything went after re align the engine and renewal of the carbon seal...

But things went a little different....

I found some trouble with the thru hull fitting but engine and pump were nicely aligned.

When out for a testride yesterday of 20 min. Found hull full with black water (carbon dust).

Again everything apart today. Found bellow and carbon seal not centered on the hat (floating ring).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6695.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	333414

Well to the point, without the thru hull adapter tool fitted, the alignment bar slides easily to the engine.

But it is way of center inside the plastic THREADED thru hull fitting and the inside off the TUNNEL as well

Name:	IMGP6700.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	333415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6701.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	333416

I can't be that i have to align the ride plate up or something??

I have read the thread about re-adjusting the bolted style thru hull fitting but i have the threaded style.

The male part of this fitting fits inside the tunnel. No way you can 'play' with this.

First i'm gonna make a round alignment plate for in the pump support. Just to double check everything.

Because the alignment tool is bolted on the ride plate and the pump is fitted in the pumpsupport, which is again bolted on the ride plate...

To be continued !!
    Last edited by EVN81; 06-22-2014 at 01:13 PM.

+1
    So made a temporary plate to check the alignment from the center of the pump support.

Name:	IMGP6703.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	333435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6710.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	333436
    The alignment shaft slides smooth through the pump adapter, the thru hull adapter tool and finally the PTO adapter tool.

Difficult to see on the pictures but when looking through the hole with alignment shaft removed everything looked fine.

So that means that the rideplate alignment tool must be aligned as well before use. Anybody experience with this??

Name:	IMGP6711.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	333439
    One problem left, why is the carbon seal not centered on the hat (floating ring)? And spraying water and carbon dust inside the hull. All parts are OEM and new.
    Last edited by EVN81; 06-23-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added info

+1
    Im about to do this to my 2010 RXTX so im very interested in this thread. I would have thought that the there wouldnt be much adjustment once the bolts were tightened down on the rideplate alignment tool?? Maybe JPT7779 might have some input here???

+1
    I haven't seen any mention of using the thru hull adapter that slides into the thru hull fitting! This is a critical part for the alignment being setup correctly!

+1
    Good point...so with the through hull adapter the drive shaft will be centered in the through hull fitting....and then adjust the engine from there....Nice.

+1
    The thru hull adapter is part 529036193 and is required to do the alignment correctly. As a matter of fact I don't see how the OP used it....so it appears the engine was not aligned in the first place!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I haven't seen any mention of using the thru hull adapter that slides into the thru hull fitting! This is a critical part for the alignment being setup correctly!
    I did use the thru hull adapter. See my post #1 !!

But as seen in the 2nd picture of post #1 the shaft is not aligning inside the thru hull plastic piece.
    For clarity i removed the tool.

When putting the thru hull adapter tool in the thru hull plastic piece, the alignment shaft can NOT be slide through the thru hull adapter tool.

Only when loossen the 2 bolts on the rideplate alignment tool which hold the 'slide through shaft'. You will have some play with the alignment shaft to slide it through the thru hull adapter tool.

When all 6 bolts on the rideplate alignment tool are tightened you are not centered.

That was my question with the rideplate alignment tool. You should expect it is a bolt on tool and ready for use !!

+1

Name:	IMG_1404.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	333646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1405.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	333647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1403.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	333648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	333649

I see now that you mentioned using the thru hull alignment adapter, my apologies!

Attached are my alignment tools for comparison. Is your alignment fixture that bolts to the ride plate OEM? Obviously, it has to be calibrated from the factory as I have never touched the "feet" or center hole on the fixture.

Lets figure this out! The one thing that can NOT move is the thru hull fitting holding the bellows & carbon ring on this model ski (others can). The engine can move all over the place up/down, left/right, forward/aft. So, your pump shoe and OR ride plate itself must be out of alignment with the thru hull fitting! It seems you have verified this since the ride plate fixture does NOT align properly.

It sounds to me like your pump shoe may not be centered correctly which in turn has the ride plate off centered also. Or just the ride plate is not aligned correctly with the pump shoe. It is going to be a PITA job, but I suggest removing the ride plate & pump shoe, noting the shims behind the pump shoe, ordering a new one, and start over.

The bottom line is this, once everything is aligned the long shaft should slide like butter thru the ride plate fixture, (your homemade adapter), thru hull adapter, and into the PTO adapter perfectly. The carbon ring and floating ring should be perfect.

If desired, I'll send you my ride plate fixture to compare if you pay the
    shipping both ways!
    Last edited by jpt7779; 06-24-2014 at 09:34 AM.

+1
    Thanks for the input JPT, and for the courtesy of loan your alignment tool !!

I'm very busy with the ski now .

I will put all info in this thread later.

+1
    Last night I started the process of ripping out my 2010 pump shoe to convert over the newer style. My alignment was off after adjusting over and over and over using the ride plate adapter. I'll post pics during the process of converting over

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information