Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

RV/Jet ski trailer?

I considered taking a flat bed 20ft trailer, installing a truck camper on the front of the trailer and adding bunks to the back. Once I looked at all the weights I realized the camper would put too much weight on my hitch.

Has anyone considered/done this? Do any RV manufacturers make this? I've searched but found nothing so far.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Toy Hauler trailer is the configuration you are talking about, I think. Often the toy section at the rear is enclosed, but I think there are some with an open deck.

Trailer balance is important since with the toys not present the tongue weight can be very different from having the toy weight on the rear.

+1
    I think it would be much easier and cheaper to buy a truck and camper...

I have a friend that has a 27ft toy hauler that he puts a ski in and it works very good! But trying to build something would probably be as expensive as what a used toy hauler would run.

I just bought a 31ft travel trailer and I plan on putting my ski in the bed of my truck, somehow

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    I think it would be much easier and cheaper to buy a truck and camper...

I have a friend that has a 27ft toy hauler that he puts a ski in and it works very good! But trying to build something would probably be as expensive as what a used toy hauler would run.

I just bought a 31ft travel trailer and I plan on putting my ski in the bed of my truck, somehow
    I thought about the toy hauler. Do they usually fit two modern sized Jet skis? I've seen those bed lifts for the jet skis. It seems like a great idea but I wonder if they'll stick out too far and would hit the trailer when I turn. None of this is a real issue now, I only have one jet ski at the moment and no RV but i'm brain storming for the future.

+1
    no way you will get two in a toy hauler without some crazy rack system and at that point I think you are over weight... I am going to go with a rack that will hold ski and trailer in the back of the truck... (The company that makes the jetrax system you see online is no longer making them)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    no way you will get two in a toy hauler without some crazy rack system and at that point I think you are over weight...
    Two single PWC trailers facing opposite directions might fit inside a toy hauler, if the toy section is long enough.

Especially if they are the Magic Tilt/Karavan narrow style that can be linked to create a double.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    no way you will get two in a toy hauler without some crazy rack system and at that point I think you are over weight...
    Two single PWC trailers facing opposite directions might fit inside a toy hauler, if the toy section is long enough.

Especially if they are the Magic Tilt/Karavan narrow style that can be linked to create a double.
    good luck with that... most of the toy haulers made barley fit a small single place trailer (or even a ski on a dolly) as the nose of the ski usually ends up between the stove and the fridge (depending on the floor plan).

Simple math of the normal new ski being around 48" wide and the legal exterior limit of a toy hauler at 102 that leaves 6 inches for two exterior wall and the brackets on the side of the toy hauler for the rear bunks (most have rear bunks that go up and down)

+1
    I've looked all over the net for something like this. I thought about buying a 30 foot cargo trailer and cutting the back off for jet skis then converting the front to living quarters. It seems like theres a high risk of water getting into the living quarters no matter how you do it. I figure I'd have to back in far enough to where the front would possibly be touching the water. I guess its tent camping for a while, maybe I'll get the ones with AC ports in them for the brutal summer temps lol.

+1
    This picture is of a 21 ft toy hauler. Palomino Canyon Cat. I can fit only 1 jetski in the trailer. I had to add a electric winch bolted to the floor to pull this in. The Camper weighs 5100lbs and with the ski it's at max cargo with all our gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	335425  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information